Your thoughts on advancing the Elixir ecosystem

Although it is slightly off-topic, I wonder about this as well. I think that @josevalim is probably referring to the implicitness and potentially the huge scope-creep that Device has, but I might be completely missing the mark here.
There do exist a couple of user-management libraries that strive to fullfil the same goal; Coherence comes to mind for instance.

My thoughts on advancing the ecosystem currently are probably mostly that there still is a treasure trove of Erlang-libraries (and even built-in functionality!) that is not or only partially exposed in an idiomatic Elixir way (in some cases, improving the documentation of the existing Erlang stuff might be enough).

One of the things that recently somewhat burned me and my colleagues, for instance, is that Mnesia is basically its whole own entity in the Erlang/Elixir ecosystem, and that it might maybe best be described as a ā€˜do it yourselfā€™ database: It has many hooks to customize what it does if certain situations occur, but does very little of this for you out of the box. A good (meaning feature-complete and idiomatic; e.g. using Structs rather than Records) Mnesia-wrapper would be much appreciated, especially if it can reduce the amount of configuration to make a sensible ā€˜works for most casesā€™ system. Basically, Mnesia feels more like a framework to create a distributed database on, rather than a distributed database itself.

3 Likes