mmport80

mmport80

Dialyzer is telling me that an output looks like:

{'error',<<_:48,_:_*8>>}

which I see means that the binary is at least 48 bits long

how can I specify this in a Elixir type spec?

Showing Posts 1 to 7

sashaafm

sashaafm

Per the docs:

type :: :atom                         ## Atoms
      | 1                             ## Integers
      | 1..10                         ## Integers from 1 to 10
      | 1.0                           ## Floats

   | <<>>                          ## Bitstrings
   | <<_ :: size>>                 # size is 0 or a positive integer
   | <<_ :: _ * unit>>             # unit is an integer from 1 to 256
   | <<_ :: size * unit>>

you can read about it here.

mmport80

mmport80 OP

I just noticed that too, but

<<_ :: 48, _ :: _*8>>

doesn’t work

NobbZ

NobbZ

What exactly do you mean, wiritng „doesn’t work”?

mmport80

mmport80 OP

Dialyzer returns this error:

** (CompileError) lib/xoxo.ex:41: type '*'(_,_) undefined

NobbZ

NobbZ

I played a bit with it.

defmodule Diafoo do
  @spec foo(<<_ :: 48, _ :: _ * 8>>) :: 4
  def foo(_a), do: 4
end

The module above can be checked when using elixir master, but not on elixir 1.2.5. Also it seems to be independent of OTP version and I used dialyze-packaeg to wrap dialyzer.

So it seems as if there is something in the current elixir compiler blocking this.

@josevalim is there any chance to backport?

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

Backported, thank you. We should have v1.2.6 out soon (as soon as a new RC for Erlang 19 is out).

mmport80

mmport80 OP

thanks guys - appreciate it

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews