defoemark
I know that a couple of nosql dbs such as Cassandra or Couchbase work fine for write-heavy applications, but what about mnesia bag type disk_copies? Does it suit, despite of the table size limit?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
tpunt
It depends upon what sort of data you’re looking to store and how you’re wanting to store it. If you can get away with using a key-value database (such as Redis), then that would most likely be your most performant option (not to mention the nice simplicity of the data model makes it pleasurable to work with). Otherwise, I’ve heard that ScyllaDB is suppose to be very performant, particularly for a column-family database (it aims to basically be a high performance version of Cassandra).
I can’t speak for mnesia though, since I have no experience with it.
defoemark
Thanks for reply @tpunt. I’m looking for a data, where primary key can be non-unique (key-value or column db), so I can fetch a batch of records using that primary key. Also it should be fast on writes. Probably the db would be CP.
Most likely the in-memory db would be too expensive. Is there any Elixir or Erlang client for Scylla?
I’ve also heard about RocksDB and that it’s designed to work with SSD.
tpunt
That doesn’t sound like a PK, but rather just some sort of grouping value.
What’s CP?
Redis doesn’t keep the whole database in memory. It snapshots to disc periodically (I expect other key-value data stores to do the same too).
Good question - I’m not sure if there is. A quick Google search would suggest not.
That looks like an interesting alternative, and it looks like there are clients for it in Erlang too.
mkunikow
Our blog post about databases
So if you want search by something more than key (key must be unique :)) the option is column base database like Cassandra or Scylla. Cassandra is fast on write and slow on read. Cassandra is also eventually consistent → not CP database type. And it is not easy to maintain Cassandra :). I don’t know about Scyllia.
In other case you will need to create composite key and store collection of records in this key.
CP (Consistency and Partition Tolerance) ?
defoemark
Yes I mean consistency and partition tolerance.
I found erocksdb adapter in Erlang[quote=“mkunikow, post:5, topic:739”]
So if you want search by something more than key (key must be unique :))
[/quote]
Mnesia
bagtype suits well in this component. The only thing is table size limit.In case of Cassandra, this Erlang client looks pretty mature.
krapans
Anyone already used ScyllaDB with elixir/phoenix and can give feedback how it works?
Because I didn’t found any adapters for elixir /w scylladb
mkunikow
Does it work with something like this GitHub - cqerl/cqex: Idiomatic Cassandra client for Elixir · GitHub ?
krapans
Thanks, didn’t thought about that. Thanks.
CombinedCognitions
well i think discord uses it in production
ambareesha7
I worked short period for a company who uses ScyllaDB, whatever tools, libraries works for CassandraDB they also works for ScyllaDB, like Xandra library
And ScyllaDB is a monster, very highly performant DB and I found this free GUI tool by Netflix this works for both Cassandra and ScyllaDB
If your use case suits for CassandraDB then I recommend to use ScyllaDB