22) ElixirConf 2017 - Live APIs with GraphQL Subscriptions - Bruce Williams and Ben Wilson

ElixirConf 2017 - Live APIs with GraphQL Subscriptions - @bruce and @benwilson512

APIs have gone live with GraphQL Subscriptions! Phoenix channels are a fantastic tool for connecting clients to your server, but can be difficult to use as a central data retrieval method. You can end up duplicating logic already found your API, stymied by inefficient datastore access, and sprawling channel code that has to handle all of the possible cases your clients need.

GraphQL is a query language for your unified API that lets clients choose what information they want. This holds true no matter what backends you’re using, whether an Ecto backed Database or other APIs themselves.

Subscriptions with Absinthe provide real time push data capabilities with the flexibility of GraphQL documents powered by Elixir specific optimizations not found in any other GraphQL subscriptions platform.

In this talk we’re going to demo this real time ability, and talk about the development and production experience we have with subscriptions at Cargosense, a logistics intelligence company that’s used Absinthe to power its production GraphQL API for almost two years.

All talks are available in the Elixir Conf 2017 Talks List or via the elixirconf2017 tag

5 Likes

GraphQL is pretty intriguing. These talks always get me curious, but I haven’t found the perfect on ramp yet. Maybe the book will be that for me.

1 Like

Hey, thanks for posting! If anyone has any questions I’ll be happy to answer them here!

1 Like