33) ElixirConf 2017 - Building Realtime Mobile Apps with React Native and Elixir - Osayame Gaius Obaseki

ElixirConf 2017 - Building Realtime Mobile Apps with React Native and Elixir - Osayame Gaius Obaseki

Building realtime mobile apps presents several challenges. Most approaches default to complex polling and caching techniques, and/or use subpar toolchains. This talk argues that functional programming is the best way to build scalable mobile apps. The talk demonstrates how to quickly build a realtime cross-platform mobile app similar to Slack or HipChat with React Native. In addition, it describes how to use Elixir and the Phoenix framework to drastically reduce the effort and complexity necessary to build a realtime web server. Lastly, the talk argues that this approach is the most maintainable for small to medium-sized development teams.

Audience: Intermediate-Advanced

All talks are available in the Elixir Conf 2017 Talks List or via the elixirconf2017 tag

5 Likes

Somehow I had not seen this talk yet, but I’m very seriously looking forward to it.

1 Like

Would love to hear some other thoughts on React Native. It sounds too good to be true.

You might like this…

There is also Flutter now too.

1 Like

To use Flutter you need to know Dart right?

I think I’d prefer to use RubyMotion instead - which was created by an ex Apple developer :slight_smile: I actually used MacRuby (which RubyMotion is based on) to create a Mac app which I sold on the Mac app store :lol: I was getting about £20 a month from it (selling for 99p) - it was more an experiment than anything else. I never updated it though so removed it from the store.

1 Like

Yeah but I’ve messed with Dart, if you know javascript then you know most of dart (with some static typing). ^.^;

It generates native UI’s though.

1 Like