realcorvus

realcorvus

“Vision for a Secure Elixir Ecosystem: An Empirical Study of Vulnerabilities in Elixir Programs” was published by the ACM in April, 2022. From the paper:

Practitioners perceive Elixir to be a ‘safe’ language, as the language allows practitioners to write fast software programs without introducing vulnerabilities, unlike other languages, such as C[16]

[16] Nathan Long. 2021. Elixir is Safe. Elixir is Safe - DockYard

The ACM is a reputable journal, and this paper may come up in many contexts, for example if a business is considering using Elixir. I do not believe the paper gives an accurate picture of Elixir from a security POV, have published my reply:

Elixir’s reputation is important, and I hope this article is useful in showing why the claims in the paper are misleading.

Showing Posts 1 to 5

josecfreittas

josecfreittas

Sad to see a paper like this.
Awesome reply and counterpoints to it!

D4no0

D4no0

What the hell is that paper about, the quality of the content is worse than my laboratory work in the first year of the university, just repeating 100 times that we extracted commits from some random projects and found X vulnerabilities, without even showing a single example of a vulnerability.

With their methodology, I could hire 2 kids from school and search for words in commits with the same result:

This is just embarrassing :joy:

And by the way, when vulnerabilities are fixed, they are not marked as CRITICAL VULNERABILITY FIXED, HERE IS AN EXAMPLE if you want to replicate it, as vulnerabilities are things that can happen in any language/library.

JeyHey

JeyHey

Having quickly read the article cited above, my opinion is the following.

The research question is narrow and does appear to be part of a broader, established research field. It is unclear which conclusions for Elixir, the field of computer science or for security research the answering of the research question yields.

The paper does not seem to follow established methodology. What are the established metrics for measuring code quality and security issues ? What prior research exist in that field ? No papers on established methodology are quoted. Normally, a paper does either apply established methodology to a new dataset, or it applies new methodology to an already studied dataset. This study does not explain, which one it does.

The whole paper is short. It does not explore the topic in its depth nor in its breadth. Additionally, the few pages written are bloated with unnecessary information. This paper is not research, this is undergraduate homework.

How can the authors address these issues? I see two ways. Either (i) broaden the scope and explore the security aspect of Elixir in a comparative study with other languages. Does Elixir code show statistically different levels of security issues than other code ? Are there differences in the types of security issues ? Do code bases with high levels of security issues have further differences compared to code bases with lower levels ? Are these differences also observable for Elixir code ? Or (ii) deepen the research and explore which security problems can be identified for the specific case of Elixir code. What type of issues can be identified ? How extensive are they ? What can these issue say about the language and tools used ? What suggestion for improved code can be derived ?

hst337

hst337

Relax, some people write papers because they are mandatory to finish the university to get a grade. Whole academia is more about getting a degree, not about science or anything really useful.

I don’t think that these students are wrong. In my opinion, they are 100% correct: nobody cares about academic papers or their quality, young people just need a degree to have more opportunities in the future. I think that there should be more papers like this. This would destroy authority of universities in terms of defining competence

sodapopcan

sodapopcan

Nice to see this on HN. Not sure what kind of discussion it’ll spark but also nice it’s kept Elixir on the front page for another day :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews