scottming

scottming

Hello everyone, I have written a library about validation joi, which I think is suitable for use in CQRS projects where there are many data structures defined. I’m about to release version 0.2.0, currently in the develop branch. Do you have any suggestions for the API, or for the code, or for testing

Showing Posts 1 to 3

stefanchrobot

stefanchrobot

Hi, would it be possible to build this library on top of Ecto’s schemaless changesets?

scottming

scottming OP

Could you write an example of expected behavior? @stefanchrobot

stefanchrobot

stefanchrobot

When I looked at the example on GitHub:

iex> schema = %{a: [:integer]}
%{a: [:integer]}
iex> data1 = %{a: 1}
%{a: 1}
iex> Joi.validate(data1, schema)
{:ok, %{a: 1}}
iex> data2 = %{a: <<123>>}
iex> Joi.validate(data2, schema)
{:error,
[
  %Joi.Error{
    context: %{key: :a, value: "{"},
    message: "a must be a integer",
    path: [:a],
    type: "integer.base"
  }
]}

the same - or at least similar - thing can be achieved using schemaless changesets with Ecto:

iex> types = %{a: :integer}
iex> data = %{a: "hello"}
iex> changeset = {%{}, types} |> Ecto.Changeset.cast(data, Map.keys(types))
#Ecto.Changeset<
  action: nil,
  changes: %{},
  errors: [a: {"is invalid", [type: :integer, validation: :cast]}],
  data: %{},
  valid?: false
>

So the question is whether the functionality you’re building can be written as an extension to Ecto, which is I think is very commonly used. In one of the previous projects, I had a microservice that didn’t have it’s own storage, but I still used Ecto to validate the schema of the incoming requests.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews