A problem with mix phx.server please, help))

Hi) Every time I run mix phx.server I get:

[warn] Phoenix is unable to create symlinks. Phoenix' code reloader will run considerably faster if symlinks are allowed. On Windows, the lack of symlinks may even cause empty assets to be served. Luckily, you can address this issue by starting your Windows terminal at least once with "Run as Administrator" and then running your Phoenix application.
[error] Failed to start Ranch listener HelloWeb.Endpoint.HTTP in :ranch_tcp:listen([cacerts: :..., key: :..., cert: :..., port: 5432]) for reason :eaddrinuse (address already in use)

[info] Application hello exited: Hello.Application.start(:normal, []) returned an error: shutdown: failed to start child: HelloWeb.Endpoint
    ** (EXIT) shutdown: failed to start child: {:ranch_listener_sup, HelloWeb.Endpoint.HTTP}
        ** (EXIT) shutdown: failed to start child: :ranch_acceptors_sup
            ** (EXIT) {:listen_error, HelloWeb.Endpoint.HTTP, :eaddrinuse}
** (Mix) Could not start application hello: Hello.Application.start(:normal, []) returned an error: shutdown: failed to start child: HelloWeb.Endpoint
    ** (EXIT) shutdown: failed to start child: {:ranch_listener_sup, HelloWeb.Endpoint.HTTP}
        ** (EXIT) shutdown: failed to start child: :ranch_acceptors_sup
            ** (EXIT) {:listen_error, HelloWeb.Endpoint.HTTP, :eaddrinuse}

P.S. I am a maximum noob and launching a phoenix is ​​generally the first thing I do in programming in my life) Tell me how to fix the error?`

1 Like

Hi @jestar, the error message is saying that the address is already in use. The error is saying that you are trying to run it on port 5432 but there is already something using that adress.

5432 is a very strange port to pick, that’s usually what Postgres (your database) uses. I would stick with the Phoenix default of running on port 4000.

5 Likes

Why do you want to start with a web-application? I think thats too hard at the beginning.
Maybe you have a specific problem you want to solve.
Thats really good, because nothing motivates better than buildng something useful.

But, if you really have zero things done before, better start with some tutorials. A great way to get started is

Solve the problems, have a look at how others solved them, you can even get help by a mentor.

After that you could implement parts of your application, but without the web-part. This could later become the contexts (How would you explain Phoenix Contexts to a newbie?) of your web-app.

4 Likes

Great) I fixed the port and started the Phoenix server successfully! Thank you very much! :pray:

1 Like