francois1

francois1

In Phoenix Controllers, we use the bang-versions of the Ecto Repo functions, such as Repo.get!/3. In production, these errors will be intercepted and a 404 page is presented to the user when working with Phoenix templates.

In Absinthe, is it possible to achieve something similar? I.e. when an Ecto.NoResultsError error is raised, have the following data returned with a 200 http code:

{
  "data": {
    "user": null
  },
  "errors": [
    {
      "message": "Not found",
      "locations": [{"line": 2, "column": 3}],
      "path": ["user"]
    }
  ]
}

This allows to avoid having to write a set of case/with control structures and use the bang-versions of the Ecto functions, the same way we work with Phoenix Controllers.

Wouldn’t that be the best way to work in resolvers? If not, why? Any alternatives?

Showing Posts 1 to 1

francois1

francois1 OP

I went for a hybrid approach where

  1. resources’ IDs passed directly as arguments are processed by a middleware which attempts to fetch the resource and puts it in the context, or adds an error (in errors). Example:
field :create_foo, :create_or_update_foo_result do
  arg :input, non_null(:foo_input)
  arg :organization_id, non_null(:id)

  middleware Middleware.HandleNotFoundError,
    arg: :organization_id,
    context_key: :organization,
    fetcher: &MyContext.get_organization(&2.current_user, &1)

  resolve(&Resolvers.MyContext.create_foo/3)
end

I can then access the organization in this example from the context.

  1. IDs passed in the attrs map for the context (:input object above) are handled by foreign_key_constraint/3 when building the changeset, and I return to the client either changeset errors (in data) or a specialized object like BarNotFound { id }.

And this is where it’s really, really nice to work with soft deletes where I do not have to return nice errors to the client in case there is a foreign key error and deal with annoying questions related to concurrent fetch/delete operations driving one’s crazy (with soft deletes, foreign key errors would only be coming from either a malicious user trying to change the IDs or from a programmer bug).

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews