a_smooth_avocado

a_smooth_avocado

Hi everyone!

I’m planning to develop a microservices-oriented architecture where my Kubernetes (k8s) cluster will support different nodes: an API gateway, authentication (auth), and application (app) services. These will be integrated into a unified cluster using a DNS strategy, with the potential for one or more Elixir nodes per service. The gateway will be built as a Phoenix application featuring an Absinthe GraphQL schema. For communication between the auth and app services, I’m considering using a library like Horde to facilitate calls from the gateway. This setup aims to ensure that requests requiring immediate attention are promptly handled. Additionally, data loading between nodes would leverage similar inter-node communication techniques.

The primary goal is to create a cohesive API “front” that consolidates multiple services into a single GraphQL schema, essentially creating a unified yet flexible schema. This approach will enable advanced functionalities, such as cross-service resolvers and multi-level caching, enhancing the overall efficiency and scalability of the system.

I’m curious about the feasibility of this setup and whether I might be underestimating its complexity. I’m aware of potential challenges, like process replication, but I’m not entirely clear on how these might impact my specific architecture. I have considered doing a single monolith, however this cannot happen due to the security concerns.

Showing Posts 1 to 1

kirega

kirega

Hi,
I dont know about the feasibility of your proposed solution. However, I would ask you to consider looking at graphql federation, it comprehensively solves the plan to have a single graphql api for a federated microservice.
Check it out here. Introduction to Apollo Federation - Apollo GraphQL Docs

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews