hykw

hykw

Hello,
I’ve written a GraphQL server with Absinthe as a proof of concept and a prototype for the next project.

I found some samples, Absinthe Tutorial Codel for example, and those were good start as the first step, but the learning curve would be too steep when you want to implement some logics, such as avoiding an N+1 problem with dataloader, authorizing users, injecting some values into the result returned from dataloader, etc.

You can get the source code and some description about it here: absinthe_showcase

Features

  • Battery included

    • You can soon try in Docker Compose.
  • Written in the latest libraries:

    • OTP 21, Elixir 1.7.4
    • Phoenix 1.4, Ecto 3.0
    • Absinthe 1.4.13
  • Avoiding N+1 problem with dataloader

  • Authorizing user permission with a custom middleware

  • Count the number of records regardless of LIMIT/OFFSET specified, which is very useful in pagination

  • Supports multistage query such as {questions{users{} answers{}}}, {me {users{} questions{} answers{}}}, {questions{answers{users{}}}}, etc.

  • Various queries/mutations

    • mutations
      • login with email and password; supports two permissions
        • normal user
        • admin user
      • create user account
        • the only admin user can create new accounts
        • guests(no login user) or normal users are rejected
    • query
      • various queries includes total record counts

Feedback welcome!

This is the first time I’ve written an application with Absinthe. Any suggestions for improving this application, even the mistakes you find in my English, are welcome.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

hlx

hlx

At Novistore we’re currently writing a big e-commerce app with Absinthe (GraphQL).

Having a lot of entities I found putting everything in 1 types file easier than putting the queries and mutations in the schema like you did.

Checkout a sample app I’ve made a while back to illustrate my point.

schema.ex
https://github.com/hl/blog/blob/master/lib/blog_api/schema.ex

post_types.ex
https://github.com/hl/blog/blob/master/lib/blog_api/schema/post_types.ex

hykw

hykw OP

Having a lot of entities I found putting everything in 1 types file easier than putting the queries and mutations in the schema like you did.

@hlx I’ve never thought of it!
Thank you for your feedback.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
ausimian
Emily is an Elixir library that runs Nx computations on Apple’s MLX. Install it as the default Nx backend and Nx, defn, Axon, Nx.Serving,...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews