knvjun

knvjun

Hi guys! I need help. I’m looking for a way to resolve a list_of(:object) in union.
Here’s what I did.

object :community_queries do
  field :search, type: :search_result do
    arg(:keyword, non_null(:string))

    resolve(&CommunityResolver.search/3)
  end
end

…

union :search_result do
  description "A search result"

  types [:person, :business]
  resolve_type fn
    %Person{}, _ -> list_of(:person)
    %Business{}, _ -> list_of(:business)
  end
end

In the code above. I tried to put a list_of(:person) in resolve_type and it returns error like this

invalid quoted expression: %Absinthe.Blueprint.TypeReference.List{errors: [], of_type: :person}

Then I tried this one

object :community_queries do
  field :search, type: list_of(:search_result) do
    arg(:keyword, non_null(:string))

    resolve(&CommunityResolver.search/3)
  end
end

…

union :search_result do
  description "A search result"

  types [:person, :business]
  resolve_type fn
    %Person{}, _ -> :person
    %Business{}, _ -> :business
  end
end

It returns

 (BadMapError) expected a map, got: [%{name: "John"}, ...

I’ve also tried putting it in types like this but also got errors.

...
types [list_of(:person), list_of(:business)]
  resolve_type fn
...

Is there a possible workaround for this?

Showing Posts 1 to 3

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

@knvjun you should make the field :search a list eg:

field :search, list_of(:search_result)

Then your union is just:

union :search_result do
  description "A search result"

  types [:person, :business]
  resolve_type fn
    %Person{}, _ -> :person
    %Business{}, _ -> :business
  end
end
knvjun

knvjun OP

Thanks @benwilson512!
Another question, Is there a way to resolve a union type like this?

union :search_result do
  description "A search result"

  types [:person, :business]
  resolve_type fn
    %Person{}, _ -> :person,  resolve: &redact_some_info/2
    %Business{}, _ -> :business
  end
end

defp redact_some_info(_args, %{source: source}) do
  # redact ops.
end
benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

@knvjun If you are looking to redact values you’ll need to do that in the resolver which returns a search_result, there is no way to attach a resolver directly to a union type.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews