saverio-kantox

saverio-kantox

In a project I’m working in, I have to create a boatload of different structs, each containing a list of different types of objects. Think XML with types. The values cannot be set directly on fields because order must be preserved, so there is no explicit type spec on the struct (it has one field that contains a kwlist with the children)

So we are implementing Access on them, to be able to get lenses on them, but I would like the user of these type to not have to know beforehand what type should be put in each child.

What would be the natural way to expose to the user a “blueprint” of the correct struct for a key?

Can some of the callbacks for Access expose an empty struct of the correct type instead of nil?

Is it reasonable for the user to expect that put_in and related functions do initialize intermediate objects when needed? (In the style of mkdir -p)

Thanks for your opinions and suggestions.

Showing Posts 1 to 5

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Some examples will help a lot, want to post some?

saverio-kantox

saverio-kantox OP

Here is some (writing from memory with a phone keyboard):

defmodule A do
  defstruct values: []

  @element name: "a", type: A, min_occurs: 0
  @element name: "b", type: B, max_occurs: 5
  @element name: "c", type: C

  # implementations of Access and Enumerable

  def fetch(a, key) when is_atom(key) do
    case Keyword.get(a.values, key, :no) do
      :no -> :error
      found -> {:ok, found}
    end
  end

  # more implementations when key is {atom, index} to retrieve a child after the first
end

thing_a = %A{values: [
  b: %B{…},
  b: %B{…},
  c: %C{…},
]
# suppose :some is an element of C

put_in(thing_a, [:a, :c, :some], "value")

In my mind, the user shouldn’t know the specific type of C, the above code should produce (up to reordering, with is out of scope here)

%A{values: [
  a: %A{values: [c: %{values: [some: "value"]}]},
  b: %B{…},
  b: %B{…},
  c: %C{…},
]

You can observe that the top level A and the nested C are created automatically.

I think I can achieve this behaviour but I’m not sure whether it breaks some contract and whether there are better ways to allow the user to put values creating the intermediate steps as needed.

peerreynders

peerreynders

This involves using functions-as-keys in the path list that know what empty struct to supply when one is needed.

Access.keys/2 does this for Maps and structs. Use its implementation

https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/blob/v1.8.2/lib/elixir/lib/access.ex#L484-L497

as a blueprint for what you need to do in your particular case.

saverio-kantox

saverio-kantox OP

Very interesting, I haven’t thought about it. So the user instead of providing just the key path, would provide something like

put_in(thing_a, [
  MyAccess.key_or_create(:a),
  MyAccess.key_or_create(:c),
  …
], "value")

and the functions will be created based on some protocol that I need to define and implement?

Makes total sense, I did not feel 100% comfortable in returning non-nils on missing keys.

peerreynders

peerreynders

Example:

defmodule Nav do
  def a,
    do: key(:a, [])

  def c,
    do: key(:c, [])

  def some,
    do: key(:some, [])

  defp key(key, default) do
    fn
      :get, data, next ->
        next.(Keyword.get(data, key, default))

      :get_and_update, data, next ->
        value = Keyword.get(data, key, default)

      case next.(value) do
        {old, update} ->
          {old, Keyword.put(data, key, update)}

        :pop ->
          {value, Keyword.delete(data, key)}
      end
    end
  end
end

thing = []
path = [Nav.a(), Nav.c(), Nav.some()]
new_thing = put_in(thing, path, "value")
IO.puts("#{inspect(new_thing)}")

update = &{&1, "more " <> &1}
{old_value, more_thing} = get_and_update_in(new_thing, path, update)
IO.puts("#{inspect(old_value)} #{inspect(more_thing)}")

result = get_in(more_thing, path)
IO.puts("#{inspect(result)}")

{deleted_value, pop_thing} = pop_in(more_thing, path)
IO.puts("#{inspect(deleted_value)} #{inspect(pop_thing)}")
$ elixir nav.exs
[a: [c: [some: "value"]]]
"value" [a: [c: [some: "more value"]]]
"more value"
"more value" [a: [c: []]]
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews