collectivelysuperior

collectivelysuperior

Let’s say there is a list of structs as a field of a parent struct. Due to the nested nature of the list of maps in the struct, I have been using put_in to insert a new value into the child struct. However, I find myself having to get the index of the child struct in the list and then using that index to access the child struct in the nested list. Is there a better way of doing this? I have searched online and haven’t found much useful info.

In my use case (shown below), the parent struct is a game and the list contains player structs. I am trying to update the player in the list to be the opposite of their current mute boolean.

defmodule Game do
  defstruct id: nil, name: nil, password: nil, connected_users: [], messages: []
end

defmodule Player do
  defstruct id: nil, muted?: false
end

def mute(%{connected_players: connected_players} = game, player) do
    index = Enum.find(connected_players, &(player == &1.id)
    game
    |> put_in([:connected_players, Access.at!(index), :muted?], not player.muted?)
  end

Showing Posts 1 to 4

thiagomajesk

thiagomajesk

Hi @collectivelysuperior, welcome to the forum!

I think you can do try something like this:

def mute(%{connected_players: connected_players} = game, %{id: player_id}) do
  players = Enum.map(connected_players, fn 
    {id: ^player_id, muted?: false} = player -> %{player | muted?: true}
    player -> player
end

%{game | connected_players: players}
qhwa

qhwa

I think finding a player by id is quite frequent. For example, when a player joins the game, you also want to make sure you won’t add him/her twice if already in the room.

So I often end up with having the connected_players list as a map, whose keys are ids. Would that be easier for you?

%Game{connected_players: %{"foo" => %Player{id: "foo", ...}}}
shd42

shd42

If you want to keep using put_in, you could do it like this (haven’t tested it, but should be fine):

def mute(%Game{} = game, %Player{id: id} = player) do
  put_in(game, [
     Access.key(:connected_players), 
     Access.filter(&match?(%{id: ^id}, &1)), 
     Access.key(:muted?)
  ], not player.muted?)
end
collectivelysuperior

collectivelysuperior OP

Three different ideas but all very valid. Thank you all!! I like qhwa’s idea of having the connected players a map, which would make accessing the players easier.. If I stick with the list, I think the solution by @thiagomajesk is elegant and maintainable, if I ever need to change other fields in the player struct as well. (I didn’t know you could do multiple pattern matches in an anonymous function, cool!!)

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews