njwest

njwest

Note: The real question here is probably “how to access window cookies within a JS SPA”, but can’t hurt to ask from this perspective…

So I am serving a VueJS app built to priv/static/ within a Phoenix 1.4 --no-webpack server, and I am serving the VueJS app from its generated index.html (not index.html.eex) via the PageController like so:

defmodule ...PageController do

  def index(conn, _params) do
    conn
    |> put_resp_header("content-type", "text/html; charset=utf-8")
    |> Plug.Conn.send_file(200, Application.app_dir(:tips, **"priv/static/index.html"**))
    |> halt()
  end

I am using UeberAuth + the UeberAuth CAS strategy to authenticate access to index.html where the VueJS app lives. This puts some user information into a neat session cookie available in my window.

In order to interface with my Phoenix backend, I am making internal HTTP requests to API endpoints in my router.ex that return JSON – since I have the cookie in my window, though, I imagine there is a better way to get my user’s info than:

// js
axios.get('/path/to/get_session').then(...)

# ex
def get_session(conn, _params) do
    session = fetch_session(conn)
    # get user from :plug_session within session and render it to JSON
end

Since I’m using CAS , I’m avoiding writing a JWT layer on top of this as I’m using CAS as a barrier to index.html, not within the JS SPA itself, and I just feel like There’s Got to Be a Better Way :stuck_out_tongue:

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks for reading!

Showing Posts 1 to 4

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

I think the usual way to pass data between html and js is to add data attribute to an element. At least if You don’t use the full SPA, Webpack etc.

I don’t understand why You need an index.html, and not an eex template. If You add eex extension, and pass no parameters, it is supposed to be equivalent to a pure html file. If You hide data attributes inside html, it’s easy for javascript to read them.

njwest

njwest OP

Thanks for the response Koko!

My question was about making requests authenticated with cookies to internal endpoints from a Vue SPA served within a Phoenix app rather than in an independent client – not communication between the HTML and JS, but between the SPA and the backend

Was wondering if anyone else has cookie strategies for JS SPAs (React / Vue) that differ from the internal requests of the kind I’m doing above, but seems these internal requests are performing well

axelson

axelson

Scenic Core Team

Can’t the Phoenix server simply read the cookie that is sent with the request? Am I missing something?

njwest

njwest OP

Yeah that’s what I’m doing, was just curious if I was missing out on any other strategies

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews