mirth

mirth

It’s kind of complicated question and possible something wrong with my own code but I almost gave up.
tldr: in dev version of phoenix app python microservice can fetch the row from postgres table, while in test – it can’t

In the Elixir app I have the test where i calling the :create method:

test "successfully add new review source", %{
   ...
 conn = Accounts.sign_in_user(conn, user)
 conn = post conn, review_source_path(conn, :create, review_source: %{
   ...
 })

the :create method:

def create(conn, %{"review_source" => review_source_params}) do
   ...
   changeset = ReviewSource.changeset(%ReviewSource{}, review_source_params)
   case Repo.insert(changeset) do
          {:ok, review_source} ->
          #test = Repo.get!(ReviewSource, review_source.id) this return not nil, so the object existing in database
          url = "mocroservice_url/#{review_source.id}"
          response = HTTPoison.patch!(url, "{}")

So in the HTTPoison.patch! line the microservice being called but it can’t get the object with such id:

20:39:50 web.1  | Review_SourcesDoesNotExist: <class '__main__.Review_Sources'> instance matching query does not exist:
20:39:50 web.1  | SQL: SELECT "t1"."id", "t1"."type", "t1"."url", "t1"."review_widget_id", "t1"."inserted_at", "t1"."updated_at" FROM "review_sources" AS "t1" WHERE ("t1"."id" = %s) LIMIT 1 OFFSET 0

In both elixir app and flask microservice while testing the databases name are identical – projname_test. The object id also identical but i also tried selecting all row from database in microservice route handler and it’s empty. It works correclty in dev when databases set to projname_dev, the dev version also works when databases set to projname_test.
So is there something i should know about database condition when testing?

Showing Posts 1 to 6

idi527

idi527

So is there something i should know about database condition when testing?

Maybe that it happens inside a transaction and this transaction never gets committed. I think I had a similar problem recently, see Postgrex.Notifications process doesn't receive notifications in tests.

Try running your test inside Ecto.Adapters.SQL.Sandbox.unboxed_run/2:

test "successfully add new review source", %{conn: conn} do
  Ecto.Adapters.SQL.Sandbox.unboxed_run(YourApp.Repo, fn ->
    conn = Accounts.sign_in_user(conn, user)
    conn = post conn, review_source_path(conn, :create, review_source: %{
      # ...
    })
  end)
  # don't forget to clean up inserted data afterwards
end

This would actually commit the transaction, so your other service will see the inserted data.

mirth

mirth OP

I put all test code to Ecto.Adapters.SQL.Sandbox.unboxed_run and it works. But it seems it doesn’t clean the database then.

idi527

idi527

Yes, it doesn’t.

mirth

mirth OP

Yes, it doesn’t.

So what would be the workaround here?

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

The ecto.sandbox is built around the idea of testing against a long running transaction, but never commiting any data to the database. If you need to commit you data to the db you’d need to come up with different means of cleaning up the database / preventing async tests against the same data.

idi527

idi527

I delete the test data manually after the test has run.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews