tao
I’m deploying a Phoenix app with Mix releases. I’d like to access a static file, stored in the priv/ directory, during runtime.
When I enter the running app, I can see the following directory structure:
iex(backend@5714fba14b09)10> File.ls()
{:ok, ["lib", "tmp", "bin", "erts-10.4.4", "releases", "Procfile"]}
If I want to access anything in priv, I have to use the full path lib/backend-2.2.0/priv/.../myfile.json (for example). I could write code to generate this path based on the version and app name but that seems fragile – is there a better way? I tried looking into how Ecto does this for migrations, but with no luck!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone.
My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies
I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #ai
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming











Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
NobbZ
The most idiomatic and most reliable and only correct way is to use
:code.priv_dir/1.bryanhuntesl
Example of use in an attribute (compile time resolution) - also works in a release (haven’t tested moving the release to another dir (I’m working with docker (alpine-elixir)) - if you’re going to do that - you’ll probably want to make it a function instead.
https://github.com/bryanhuntesl/ex_bench/blob/fe5bfea7ab7b71dcdb0984aa0e445a8c6fcacd7d/lib/ex_bench.ex#L3
LostKobrakai
In elixir I feel
Application.app_dir/2is more ideomatic.NobbZ
No, compile time resolution will only work by accident, please resolve at runtime, it’s fast enough.
I checked your code, and in theory it will only ever work when you run the release from a machine that still has the source folder available at it’s original location.
NobbZ
Oh, since when is that there? I should try to remember that one.
Edit
I read the docs, it does not necessarily point to something that contains the
privfolder… It points to where the compiled modules will be… Or I’m missinterpreting the docs… I’d stick to:code.priv_dir.LostKobrakai
If you do
Application.app_dir(:myapp, "priv/static/file.ext")it’ll work. It surely isn’t the same as:code.priv_diras it’s always starting at the parent of the priv dir, but it works. E.g. Plug.Static is using it.tao
Thank you both!
I’ve noticed that neither
Application.app_dir/2not:code.priv_dir/1seem to work in config files, since the app does not exist yet. Is there any way around this?LostKobrakai
Configure only the path and feed it to those functions as runtime.
prkhrkat
How to do this?
LostKobrakai