klingberg
Hi there!
I am kind of new to nerves and electronics and was hoping that someone here could give me some pointers.
I struggle with reading the soil sensor connected to a raspberry pi zero.
I2C.detect_devices gives:
Devices on I2C bus “i2c-1”:
- 54
The documentation says that the default address for the sensor is 0x36.
When I try to read from the sensor all I get is <<255>>?
I2C.read(ref, 0x36, 11) gives:
{:ok, <<255, 255, 255, 255, 255, 255, 255, 255, 255, 255, 255>>}
If anyone has any experience with this sensor or could explain whats going on here I would really appreciate it!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
ReqLLM - Composable LLM client built on Req
Release v1.27.0 · Hex v1.27.0
Features:
azure: support Chat Completions logprobs (#1073) b...
New
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming











Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
fhunleth
Hi klingberg!
For I2C, it’s normal to send a command to the device and then do the read. For example, a command could be to return the current soil moisture and then you’d read a few bytes back that would be the soil moisture.
The API for talking to devices is normally found in something called a datasheet that you can download from the manufacturer. I took a quick look at the soil sensor link. From what I can tell, Adafruit has a microcontroller on the soil sensor board and they programmed it themselves with something called the seesaw firmware.
I could not find a datasheet or API guide that lists commands from Adafruit, but they do have Python code that “documents” the interface. See the moisture_read function in seesaw.py.
Reading the code, it looks like the function sends something related to
_TOUCH_BASEand_TOUCH_CHANNEL_OFFSETand then reads intobuf(which is 2 bytes):Going to the
readfunction, it looks like it writes_TOUCH_BASE, _TOUCH_CHANNEL_OFFSETto the device, sleeps 0.005 seconds and then reads 2 bytes.Translating this to Elixir, I’d try:
_TOUCH_BASE = 0x0fand_TOUCH_CHANNEL_OFFSET = 0x10Based on Adafruit’s code, it looks like they retry if
value > 4095.Hope this helps!
klingberg
Great! This is very helpful, thank you very much!!
I will give this a try as soon as I can!
Will let you know how it goes!
Thanks again!