Adapter Ecto.Adapters.Mariaex was not compiled

I am new to Elixir, so to learn I’m converting an existing NodeJS project into an Elixir one.

I intend to use plain Elixir (no frameworks), Poison (for JSON I/O), MySQL (database).

My mix dependencies:

[
  {:ecto_sql, "~> 3.2"},
  {:poison, "~> 5.0"},
  {:myxql, "~> 0.6.0"}
]

I followed instructions regarding PostgreSQL on StackOverflow and entered command mix deps.clean --all and then mix do deps.get, compile which results in:

** (ArgumentError) adapter Ecto.Adapters.Mariaex was not compiled, ensure it is correct and it is included as a project dependency
    (ecto 3.11.1) lib/ecto/repo/supervisor.ex:61: Ecto.Repo.Supervisor.compile_config/2
    lib/mysql.ex:2: (module)

I tried adding Mariaex to the dependencies:

[
  {:ecto_sql, "~> 3.2"},
  {:poison, "~> 5.0"},
  {:myxql, "~> 0.6.0"},
  {:mariaex, ">= 0.0.0"}
]

and the result was:

Because "mariaex >= 0.9.0-rc.0" depends on "decimal ~> 1.2" and "mariaex < 0.9.0-rc.0" depends on "decimal ~> 1.0", "mariaex" requires "decimal ~> 1.0".
And because "poison >= 5.0.0" depends on "decimal ~> 2.0", "poison >= 5.0.0" is incompatible with "mariaex".
And because "your app" depends on "mariaex >= 0.0.0", "poison >= 5.0.0" is forbidden.
So, because "your app" depends on "poison ~> 5.0", version solving failed.
** (Mix) Hex dependency resolution failed

I tried removing versions in dependencies:

[
  {:ecto_sql, ">= 0.0.0"},
  {:poison, ">= 0.0.0"},
  {:myxql, ">= 0.0.0"},
  {:mariaex, ">= 0.0.0"}
]

and got:

Because "mariaex >= 0.9.0-rc.0" depends on "decimal ~> 1.2" and "mariaex < 0.9.0-rc.0" depends on "decimal ~> 1.0", "mariaex" requires "decimal ~> 1.0".
And because "the lock" specifies "decimal 2.1.1", "the lock" is incompatible with "mariaex".
And because "your app" depends on "the lock", no version of "mariaex" is allowed.
So, because "your app" depends on "mariaex >= 0.0.0", version solving failed.
** (Mix) Hex dependency resolution failed

Is a connection between Ecto and MySQL even possible? What am I missing?

Adding my question here, put things into perspective.

I have a file named mysql.ex in my lib folder, with then contents:

defmodule Cc.Mysql do
  use Ecto.Repo,
    otp_app: :cc,
    adapter: Ecto.Adapters.Mariaex
end

because I use Cc.Mysql to interact with the database.

Changing to:

defmodule Cc.Mysql do
  use Ecto.Repo,
    otp_app: :cc,
    adapter: Ecto.Adapters.MyXQL
end

fixed all the errors.

Well… it fixed the compile errors.

Now I’m faced with a new error. Following the instructions on MyXQL Github README.md I entered the first test command:
iex(1)> {:ok, pid} = MyXQL.start_link(username: "root")
and got the following result:

iex(1)> {:ok, pid} = MyXQL.start_link(username: "root")
{:ok, #PID<0.207.0>}
iex(2)>
12:33:21.854 [error] MyXQL.Connection (#PID<0.209.0>) failed to connect: ** (DBConnection.ConnectionError) (/tmp/mysql.sock) address family not supported by protocol family - :eafnosupport
iex(2)>
12:33:24.662 [error] MyXQL.Connection (#PID<0.209.0>) failed to connect: ** (DBConnection.ConnectionError) (/tmp/mysql.sock) address family not supported by protocol family - :eafnosupport

I am using MySQL 8.1 server from the MySQL site, installed on Win11. The bin is in PATH. What am I missing?

As you can see from the error message, MyXQL is trying to connect using UNIX socket at /tmp/mysql.sock. You probably want to connect over the network instead, either set protocol: :tcp or explicitly set the hostname: hostname: "localhost" (which implies protocol: :tcp)

1 Like

Thanks @wojtekmach.

I modified the command to:
{:ok, pid} = MyXQL.start_link(username: "ecto", password: "ecto", protocol: :tcp)
and the connection was established.

1 Like