erix

erix

I am new to Elixir, so to learn I’m converting an existing NodeJS project into an Elixir one.

I intend to use plain Elixir (no frameworks), Poison (for JSON I/O), MySQL (database).

My mix dependencies:

[
  {:ecto_sql, "~> 3.2"},
  {:poison, "~> 5.0"},
  {:myxql, "~> 0.6.0"}
]

I followed instructions regarding PostgreSQL on StackOverflow and entered command mix deps.clean --all and then mix do deps.get, compile which results in:

** (ArgumentError) adapter Ecto.Adapters.Mariaex was not compiled, ensure it is correct and it is included as a project dependency
    (ecto 3.11.1) lib/ecto/repo/supervisor.ex:61: Ecto.Repo.Supervisor.compile_config/2
    lib/mysql.ex:2: (module)

I tried adding Mariaex to the dependencies:

[
  {:ecto_sql, "~> 3.2"},
  {:poison, "~> 5.0"},
  {:myxql, "~> 0.6.0"},
  {:mariaex, ">= 0.0.0"}
]

and the result was:

Because "mariaex >= 0.9.0-rc.0" depends on "decimal ~> 1.2" and "mariaex < 0.9.0-rc.0" depends on "decimal ~> 1.0", "mariaex" requires "decimal ~> 1.0".
And because "poison >= 5.0.0" depends on "decimal ~> 2.0", "poison >= 5.0.0" is incompatible with "mariaex".
And because "your app" depends on "mariaex >= 0.0.0", "poison >= 5.0.0" is forbidden.
So, because "your app" depends on "poison ~> 5.0", version solving failed.
** (Mix) Hex dependency resolution failed

I tried removing versions in dependencies:

[
  {:ecto_sql, ">= 0.0.0"},
  {:poison, ">= 0.0.0"},
  {:myxql, ">= 0.0.0"},
  {:mariaex, ">= 0.0.0"}
]

and got:

Because "mariaex >= 0.9.0-rc.0" depends on "decimal ~> 1.2" and "mariaex < 0.9.0-rc.0" depends on "decimal ~> 1.0", "mariaex" requires "decimal ~> 1.0".
And because "the lock" specifies "decimal 2.1.1", "the lock" is incompatible with "mariaex".
And because "your app" depends on "the lock", no version of "mariaex" is allowed.
So, because "your app" depends on "mariaex >= 0.0.0", version solving failed.
** (Mix) Hex dependency resolution failed

Is a connection between Ecto and MySQL even possible? What am I missing?

Showing Posts 1 to 4

erix

erix OP

Adding my question here, put things into perspective.

I have a file named mysql.ex in my lib folder, with then contents:

defmodule Cc.Mysql do
  use Ecto.Repo,
    otp_app: :cc,
    adapter: Ecto.Adapters.Mariaex
end

because I use Cc.Mysql to interact with the database.

Changing to:

defmodule Cc.Mysql do
  use Ecto.Repo,
    otp_app: :cc,
    adapter: Ecto.Adapters.MyXQL
end

fixed all the errors.

erix

erix OP

Well.. it fixed the compile errors.

Now I’m faced with a new error. Following the instructions on MyXQL Github README.md I entered the first test command:
iex(1)> {:ok, pid} = MyXQL.start_link(username: "root")
and got the following result:

iex(1)> {:ok, pid} = MyXQL.start_link(username: "root")
{:ok, #PID<0.207.0>}
iex(2)>
12:33:21.854 [error] MyXQL.Connection (#PID<0.209.0>) failed to connect: ** (DBConnection.ConnectionError) (/tmp/mysql.sock) address family not supported by protocol family - :eafnosupport
iex(2)>
12:33:24.662 [error] MyXQL.Connection (#PID<0.209.0>) failed to connect: ** (DBConnection.ConnectionError) (/tmp/mysql.sock) address family not supported by protocol family - :eafnosupport

I am using MySQL 8.1 server from the MySQL site, installed on Win11. The bin is in PATH. What am I missing?

wojtekmach

wojtekmach

Hex Core Team

As you can see from the error message, MyXQL is trying to connect using UNIX socket at /tmp/mysql.sock. You probably want to connect over the network instead, either set protocol: :tcp or explicitly set the hostname: hostname: "localhost" (which implies protocol: :tcp)

erix

erix OP

Thanks @wojtekmach.

I modified the command to:
{:ok, pid} = MyXQL.start_link(username: "ecto", password: "ecto", protocol: :tcp)
and the connection was established.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews