popo63301

popo63301

What is the proper way to add a favicon to a Phoenix app ?

Showing Posts 1 to 5

idi527

idi527

:waving_hand:

If you are using the default setup, then replacing assets/static/favicon.ico with your own favicon.ico should be enough.


For adding the bigger sized favicons, you’d also need to include a manifest.json in your static files and serve it with Plug.Static in endpoint.ex:

plug Plug.Static,
    at: "/",
    from: :your_app,
    gzip: true,
-   only: ~w(css fonts images js lib favicon.ico robots.txt)
+   only: ~w(css fonts images js lib favicon.ico apple-touch-icon.png favicon-32x32.png favicon-16x16.png manifest.json robots.txt)

You’d also need to update your templates/layout/app.html.eex to point the browser to that manifest:

+ <link rel="apple-touch-icon" sizes="180x180" href="/apple-touch-icon.png">
+ <link rel="icon" type="image/png" sizes="32x32" href="/favicon-32x32.png">
+ <link rel="icon" type="image/png" sizes="16x16" href="/favicon-16x16.png">
+ <link rel="manifest" href="/manifest.json">
21
Post #1
popo63301

popo63301 OP

OMG. I was too focused with the priv/static/favicon.ico and my browser did not refresh properly.

Now, it works fine just by changing the assets/static/favicon.ico.

Thanks !

f0rest8

f0rest8

Another resource that seems to be great for this is:

They include a favicon checker after you finish generating everything and it includes support for Windows 8 and 10 tiles too. I renamed the site.manifest file as manifest.json per @idi527 's post.

karlosmid

karlosmid

My frontend guru Jaan Tihvan suggested that better option is to put all icons in dedicated folder:

only: ~w(css fonts images js lib icons robots.txt)

Raf

Raf

Just wanted to add a note to this, because the favicon was working fine locally, but failing to load (with a 404) after deployment.

Locally, Phoenix will always load favicon.ico, but after bundling, it tries to load something like favicon-41a4deef9b2b06219597139b6e017760.ico?vsn=d. I debugged the deployed docker image and the file was definitely there.

It took me some time to realize that the problem was with the static_paths I was allowing, which included favicon.ico but not favicon-41a4deef9b2b06219597139b6e017760.ico.

So doing what @karlosmid suggests make sense and did fix the problem.

I’m now just wondering if that shouldn’t be the default for a new phoenix app…

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews