Cam

Cam

Here is my original migration:

def change do
  create table(:clipboard_items) do
    add(:clipboard_id, :integer)

    timestamps()
  end
end

During this migration, I forgot to add the reference for each of these fields. It should have looked like this:

def change do
  create table(:clipboard_items) do
    add(:clipboard_id, references(:clipboards))

    timestamps()
  end
end

How can I add the reference to the existing table?

I’ve tried this:

  def change do
    alter table(:clipboard_items) do
      modify :clipboard_id, references(:clipboards)
    end
  end

But I get this error:

alter table clipboard_items
** (Postgrex.Error) ERROR 42710 (duplicate_object) constraint "clipboard_items_clipboard_id_fkey" for relation "clipboard_items" already exists

I’m not able to rollback because that migration has already run on production

This is making so I can’t cascade delete, any help on this would be great!

Showing Posts 1 to 1

Cam

Cam OP

Turns out this will work:

defmodule Dreamhouse.Repo.Migrations.AddReferenceToClipboardItem do
  use Ecto.Migration

  def up do
    execute "ALTER TABLE clipboard_items DROP CONSTRAINT clipboard_items_clipboard_id_fkey"

    alter table(:clipboard_items) do
      modify :clipboard_id, references(:clipboards, on_delete: :delete_all)
    end
  end

  def down do
    execute "ALTER TABLE clipboard_items DROP CONSTRAINT clipboard_items_clipboard_id_fkey"

    alter table(:clipboard_items) do
      modify :clipboard_id, references(:clipboards, on_delete: :nothing)
    end
  end
end

VIA: Github Issue

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews