fireproofsocks
Hoping to tap into the community for some advice. Is there a way to add a file to an existing zip archive?
This seems like maybe it’s not supported by the Erlang :zip module:
Changing a zip archive is not supported. To add or remove a file from an archive, the whole archive must be recreated.
But maybe someone knows of another library or other algorithm (bzip, gzip, ?) that might support this more easily.
It’s relevant that these zip files may be stored in S3, so maybe it would be ok to do this via a Lamba (looks like maybe this article is poking at that idea Zip files from Amazon S3 without saving them locally | tech, life & music.)
Thanks for any ideas!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
adamu
You could resort to calling
zipin a separate process:fireproofsocks
Thank you! I think this is the easiest solution. I was trying to figure out how to do this in S3, and nope… that’s pushing the river. S3 may be good for some things, but simple it is not, and trying to juggle lots of small files and zipping them up is far easier with a local volume and gold old *NIX commands.
LostKobrakai
I guess this stems from expecting a filesystem, but S3 is not a filesystem. It‘s a database for files. You wouldn‘t try to zip up files in e.g. postgres.
fireproofsocks
Yeah… it’s sort of a database. I’m finding it painful to do searches or limit the number of results returned by S3, and ultimately those headaches have been helpful in driving our research to find a better solution for a few particular pieces of our app. Live and learn.