Kabawo

Kabawo

Hi. I am new to Elixir and I’m trying to build a REST api as a hobby/ learning project. The recommendation I found in the forums for implementing auth is to go the phx.gen.auth route and amend as necessary to suit REST workflow (I suspect Phoenix.Token would be of help here). Because I generated the project with --no-html --no-assets flags it seems the phx.gen.auth is not available. Can I ask what is the recommended solution in such case? Would I have to add html (I wanted to keep the project lean)? Would I build the auth from scratch using Phoenix.Token (I imagine as a plug)? Or maybe this is too much to implement and properly set up for a beginner? I am not a commercial programmer and I’ve had limited exposure to auth implementations (Python Flask, Flask-RESTful and FastAPI) and following the guides and sample/ toy projects for these technologies adding auth seemed fairly trivial (with the complexity hidden within libraries), so I am quite surprised to hit a bit of a roadblock in Phoenix. Thanks in advance for any help

Showing Posts 1 to 2

100phlecs

100phlecs

The sooner you get acquainted with Plug and its functions the better off you’ll be, as you’ll see how Phoenix builds on-top of it.

So yes, you would build the Auth from scratch with a Plug using Phoenix.Token.

Here are some guides that I think would be useful as reference.

If you don’t want to roll your own, then guardian may be what you’re interested in using, which can hide some of the implementation details like the previous languages you’ve worked with.

There are other auth libraries to use as well. I can’t vouch for any of them. I’ve not used Guardian before, but looking around the forum Guardian is the one I see come up.

Kabawo

Kabawo OP

Thanks for a quick response and the necessary resources.

I did come across guardian and some other propositions, but I think I’ve read Jose Valim saying that in this case the best library is no library (hence the auth generator). My only worry was that as a noob I may miss on some edge cases building it from scratch as a Plug. I guess I will give it a try and I’ll treat guardian as a fallback alternative.
Thanks for help

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews