jonasbhjulstad

jonasbhjulstad

Hi!
I have been able to figure out how to spawn child nodes, but I’m not able to make the child nodes do anything. This is my current code:

:os.cmd('epmd -daemon')
    {:ok, parent} = Node.start(:parent@localhost, :shortnames)
:child.start(:localhost, 'child_1')

Spawning a function in the child node results in an error:

Node.spawn(:child_1@localhost, fn -> IO.puts "test" end)

IO.puts appears as undefined for the child node. How do i load code into child nodes?

Showing Posts 1 to 7

hauleth

hauleth

Problem there is that slave node was spawned without any extra libraries outside the Erlang standard distribution. That mean that module IO (Elixir.IO to be exact) do not exists on that module. With save module started like this you can use only Erlang standard library, so to achieve what you want you need to use fn -> :io.format("test") end.

jonasbhjulstad

jonasbhjulstad OP

Okay, say I’ve created a module in my mix project, and I want my slave to run that code. How do i load the code into the slave node?

hauleth

hauleth

You either add Elixir and your application to load path or you need to send binary representation of the module to the slave and load it there.

jonasbhjulstad

jonasbhjulstad OP

I tried using some of the functions in the :code module to load, but it doesn’t seem to work.
I think this one is only for the master node:

:code.load_module(ExampleModule)

There was also this one:

:code.add_path(path)

Which only seems to work locally for my node. Where should i proceed?
(Node.spawning load_module() did not work either)

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

A good example might be to checkout what Phoenix does in its pubsub test suite which includes some multi node cases phoenix_pubsub/test/phoenix/distributed_pubsub_test.exs at main · phoenixframework/phoenix_pubsub · GitHub

jonasbhjulstad

jonasbhjulstad OP

Thanks for the help!
I had a look into some of the code, and was able to find the correct commands which let me load the code path into the slave:

:os.cmd('epmd -daemon')
Node.start(:master@localhost, :shortnames)
:slave.start(:localhost, 'slave')
:rpc.block_call(:test@localhost, :code, :add_paths, [:code.get_path()])
...
Node.spawn(:slave@localhost, fn -> IO.puts "test" end)
...
#PID<10741.85.0>
iex(master@localhost)9> test

It worked!

garrison

garrison

With :peer, which replaced the now-deprecated :slave:

opts = %{name: ~c"foo", host: ~c"localhost", connection: :standard_io}
{:ok, peer_pid, _name} = :peer.start_link(opts)

:peer.call(peer_pid, :code, :add_paths, [:code.get_path()])
:peer.call(peer_pid, IO, :puts, ["test"])
# "test"
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews