linusdm

linusdm

I’m trying to add ex_cldr_collation as a dependency to a standard phoenix application. I’m having an issue with the docker build.

I understood that the libicu-dev package is required for building, which got me one step further (at first compilation failed, but now the application at least compiles).

When the image starts the phoenix application, I get this error:

  crasher:
    initial call: application_master:init/4
    pid: <0.2044.0>
    registered_name: []
    exception exit: {{shutdown,
                      {failed_to_start_child,kernel_safe_sup,
                       {on_load_function_failed,'Elixir.Cldr.Collation',
                        {{badmatch,
                          {error,
                           {load_failed,
                            "Failed to load NIF library: '/app/lib/ex_cldr_collation-0.7.0/priv/ucol.so: undefined symbol: ucol_strcollIter_67'"}}},
                         [{'Elixir.Cldr.Collation',init,0,
                           [{file,"lib/cldr_collation.ex"},{line,20}]},
                          {init,'-run_on_load_handlers/2-fun-0-',1,[]}]}}}},
                     {kernel,start,[normal,[]]}}
      in function  application_master:init/4 (application_master.erl, line 142)
  ...

As far as I understand, the runner image also has to have an icu dependency although that’s not mentioned explicitly in the documentation of ex_cldr_collation. But I’m failing to understand which packages exactly would provide these undefined symbols (ucol_strcollIter_67). I’ve tried adding libicu-dev, just like in the builder image, but that didn’t work. The package libicu67 also didn’t resolve the problem.

There was some recent activity on the issue tracker of ex_cldr_collation, but that seems to be more related to ubuntu and alpine images. Moreover, there is no mention of packages required at runtime in the docs, only a mention of what’s required to build, which confuses me a bit.

Suggestions appreciated!

Showing Posts 1 to 2

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

@linusdm, sorry for you not having much fun with this. The documentation definitely needs improvement in this area - my lack of knowledge of the various Linux denominations if the primary fault. I hope others more experienced than I am (probably everyone!) can chime in.

My reading suggests that installing the package icu should bring in the right versions of libicu-dev and libicu for whatever version of Debian you are on.

BTW, I’ve only recently become aware that while Ubuntu and MacOS come with libicu installed (the runtime requirement), Debian and Alpine do not. Which is why runtime requirements haven’t been mentioned - I will fix that now I have some more knowledge (albeit not enough!).

Please do open an issue so we can get to the bottom of this ASAP.

linusdm

linusdm OP

Thanks for the reply. I see you’ve improved the docs already.

There is no package literally called icu though, for debian based installs. There is libicu67 which should provide the missing symbol I think, but it doesn’t fix the error.

I’ve taken it to the issue tracker as you suggested: Can't load NIF library in the default phoenix debian docker image: undefined symbol: ucol_strcollIter_67 · Issue #6 · elixir-cldr/cldr_collation · GitHub
I’ll report back if there is any relevant news.

Thanks!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews