munksgaard

munksgaard

I am working with monetary data, for which floats are largely discouraged. As a result, I am using the fairly popular Decimal package and the associated Ecto support to store monetary values in my database and process them in my app.

I’m also a big fan of Livebook and Explorer to process my data. However, Explorer does not currently have support for Decimals, which means that I have to manually convert to floats, losing all the benefits of working with Decimal in the first place.

Therefore, I am wondering what it would take to add support for Decimals to Explorer, and whether anyone is working on such support already. If not, how would such a task even be completed? Would we need to add support directly in the Explorer library, or could some sort of external plugin be enough? Would anyone else be interested in this?

Showing Posts 1 to 3

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Explorer doesn‘t use elixir datatypes. It uses a rust library to deal with data in raw binary form. For explorer to support fixed precision numbers the underlying rust library would need to support those. Or you convert to integers at the precision you need.

billylanchantin

billylanchantin

Hi @munksgaard,

@LostKobrakai is right. We rely on the Polars library under the hood. So my first instinct is no, we won’t be able to support the Decimal library.

However, it may be worth making an issue on Explorer anyway. Polars has support for a decimal datatype:

We add new data types relatively frequently, and this may be worth pursuing. The tricky part would be figuring out how we represent things on the Elixir side. But it’s certainly possible.

billylanchantin

billylanchantin

Follow-up: We did end up adding decimal support via Decimal.

  • Add support for the decimals data type.

    Decimals dtypes are represented by the {:decimal, precision, scale} tuple, where precision can be a positive integer from 0 to 38, and is the maximum number of digits that can be represented by the decimal. The scale is the number of digits after the decimal point.

    With this addition, we also added the :decimal package as a new dependency. The Explorer.Series.from_list/2 function accepts decimal numbers from that package as values - %Decimal{}.

    This version has a small number of operations, but is a good foundation.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
ausimian
Emily is an Elixir library that runs Nx computations on Apple’s MLX. Install it as the default Nx backend and Nx, defn, Axon, Nx.Serving,...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews