ca1989

ca1989

Hi all,

I am evaluating to start using Flop Phoenix to do sorting, filtering and pagination.
I was able to make a simple filter form with compund and join fields.
That is impressive work, kudos to the contributors!

My question is about the filter form:
I have a join field which refers to strings (think about a user that has many roles).

My goal would be to have a form with roles names as checkboxes, and run the filter using that.

Is that doable with Phoenix Flop?

Cheers!

Showing Posts 1 to 4

woylie

woylie

Yes, definitely. If you use an input component as generated by Phoenix 1.7, you can add a new type checkbox-group that takes an options attribute the same way the select type does. I actually like to add both checkbox-group and radio-group that way, so that I can switch between a select, check boxes, and radio buttons just by changing the type attribute. The op of the filter needs to be set to in.

ca1989

ca1989 OP

OMG this library is fantastic!!! :heart_eyes:

mjrusso

mjrusso

Expanding a bit on @woylie’s comment, for the benefit of anyone that’s brand new to Flop and happens to stumble upon this post (like myself, a few days ago) —

  1. If you don’t already have a checkbox group input in your project, you can start with @brainlid’s implementation here: Making a CheckboxGroup Input · The Phoenix Files (specifically, the function component (def input(%{type: "checkgroup"} = assigns)) is all you need, with one modification: checked={value in @value} → checked={@value && value in @value}.

  2. Assuming that you’re using a filter_form component like the one in the Flop Phoenix docs (Flop Phoenix — Flop Phoenix v0.26.1), your filter will need to look something like this:

user_id: [
  type: "checkgroup",
  multiple: true,
  op: :in,
  options: [
    {"Robert Baratheon", "01HGS9M6A2PFEK8QR1D1FXNBFS"},
    {"Ned Stark", "01HGS9M6A3EW19FRXASEN6HVB7"}
  ]
]

Note the op: :in (as mentioned by @woylie), as well as the multiple: true.

  1. One last thing: if no options are selected for a given checkbox group, the form params will include an array with one item: an empty string. Flop will ignore empty strings, but not an array with an empty string, like this:
params #=> %{
  "filters" => %{
    "0" => %{"field" => "user_id", "op" => "in", "value" => [""]}
  }
}

You’ll want to replace the [""] with "" before handing the params over to Flop, so that Flop knows to ignore the filter entirely. (I burned more time on this than I’d like to admit. Of course, if I had taken the time to learn and integrate Flop on its own before jumping in to Flop Phoenix, I would have caught this issue immediately… ;-))

ppff01

ppff01

For future readers: you can avoid doing this by removing the hidden input in the checkbox group :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews