chbla

chbla

Hi there,

We are running an internal platform for IoT sensors. Elixir is perfect for this especially with projects like genstage/flow/broadway.

However, we would like to integrate a rules engine for our data streams that can trigger actions like alerts, notifications based on thresholds, change over time, etc.

I’m therefore looking for options and frameworks that already exist and that we could a) easily plug in (e.g. using queues) and b) allow for seamless integration in our Phoenix application.

It’s quite difficult to find out what to search for, so far Influx Capacitor (TICK stack) sounds very promising. Besides that we could probably also use something like white labeled Node-Red (WYSIWYG) or parts of the ELK stack.

Does anyone have experience here or can share some recommendations/suggestions?

Thank you very much,
Christoph

Showing Posts 1 to 4

StefanHoutzager

StefanHoutzager

I have used a camunda rules modeler to create executable xml’s within a bpms. The interpreter for the rules I wrote in elixir (for one of the ruletypes). But camunda has it’s own interpreter written in java also. I never tried it, but here is a link DMN Decision Engine | Collaboratively Automate Business Decisions | Camunda | Camunda

chasers

chasers

Are pipelines not enough?

event
|> rule_a()
|> rule_b()
|> rule_c()

Or like you want to have a file that defines rules dynamically?

chasers

chasers

I think you could even have your rule modules, then a list of rule names that mapped to those modules and then dynamically built that pipeline based on the input of rule names from somewhere (a file, a database record, etc).

StefanHoutzager

StefanHoutzager

Here is an intro to camunda dmn DMN Tutorial | Camunda
The wysiwyg modeler is easy to integrate in your phoenix application.
There is drools also https://www.drools.org/ (eclipse ide plugin for development so no webfrontent I suspect), less lightweight (but mind you: “Drools Fusion (complex event processing features)”!), I do not know if it’s easy to integrate.
About different rules languages: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/52299097/drools-with-dmn-vs-drl

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews