polypush135

polypush135

I’ve been building my own personal project https://morphic.pro and I’m at a place where I want to start collecting page hits and other metrics about where the request came from and so forth. So its time to add some analytics to my personal site.

I’ve used Google Analytics many times in the past, and overall it’s a wonderful tool. That said I feel we are living in a time where I trust Google far less than I used to. I’m not going to go full tinfoil hat right now my, but my intuition says I should avoid google.

I’ve also used Mixpanel and again a wonderful tool, but for the same reasons I don’t feel compelled to share my data with Google is the same I feel about sharing my data with anyone.

So that leads me to constantly think, why do I want to outsource this solution? I mean elixir/phoenix is more than capable of recording these requests in a way I can build a nice dashboard for.

And since I think it would be fun and a good showcase of my skill sets I keep going back to this idea.

So before I just jump in and start writing code I wanted to see what other people’s experiences have been when dealing with analytics in their own projects. Did you try your own homegrown solution only to find you went back to google anyways? Did you hit any performance walls that just didn’t make it feasible to do your own thing?

Anyhow, please share your thoughts.

Showing Posts 1 to 10

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

I like https://usefathom.com/ either as a service or even self hosted.

polypush135

polypush135 OP

“We don’t collect personal or invasive data about your users, nor do we use cookies, meaning you don’t have to show pesky notices to users about cookie tracking. We’re GDPR compliant too.”

Nice, this is really at the core of why I don’t want to us many of the big box solutions. I will have to give this a look!

polypush135

polypush135 OP

While I love their motto, their price tag is a little steep for a personal project. At $14/m for their cheapest its 3x that of my hosting cost at the moment. Its a shame they don’t offer something a little more affordable.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

It’s easy to self host though. At least it was the last time I installed it.

polypush135

polypush135 OP

I will have to look for their source then.

polypush135

polypush135 OP

Thank you!

hauleth

hauleth

How about using server-side metrics? You can use them for other purposes as well. You could even extract them out of the application logs.

polypush135

polypush135 OP

My first thought was to consume the nginx access logs as they come in.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Twitter just made me aware of an elixir based alternative: https://plausible.io/ and it’s (not yet) licensed to not allow self hosting.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews