vkryukov

vkryukov

Hi,

I would appreciate advice on the best practice for organizing several interconnected Elixir apps. I suspect that what I need is an umbrella project, but I would like to confirm this with the community.

I have three apps (1 is in active development, 3 I’m just starting, 2 is planned):

  1. A command-line app with a database that I plan to distribute in binary form to customers
  2. A premium app that implements additional functionality and a web UI
  3. An internal app (development and debugging tools, also with a web UI)

Based on my understanding of umbrella projects, this would be the right solution if implemented like this:

my_umbrella
  apps/my_app        # command-line app
  apps/my_app_web    # web UI + premium features
  apps/my_dev_app    # internal development tools

In this scenario, my_app_web and my_dev_app will both have my_app as a dependency, giving them access to all the core functionality, Ash resources, and database access. At the same time, I can distribute the first two apps separately, while the third internal app will never be distributed outside our team.

Is this the right approach? Are there any things I should be aware of, or is everything fairly straightforward as described in the official docs?

Many thanks!
Victor

Showing Posts 1 to 3

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

Seems like a good use case - the compiler will ensure that no references to code in my_dev_app sneak into the other two.

jeremy.owensboggs

jeremy.owensboggs

Umbrella apps are intended to be distributed as a unit. I would not recommend an umbrella app for this purpose. I’m under the impression that umbrella apps get loaded all together, and that references can creep into apps under the same umbrella in ways that those references can’t if they are in independent projects.

If my_dev_app is not intended to be distributed with my_app & my_app_web, then I would strongly recommend that it is kept separate.

I have been a part of several large umbrella projects, and In general I have found over time that all of these projects generally get flattened - and if not fully turned into individual projects, that the core components get merged into a single project, and that only other apps in the umbrella are custom libraries that are under active development.

gregvaughn

gregvaughn

I wish we could remove this misunderstanding about umbrella projects (not apps). One umbrella project can map to N releases. Releases are the deployment unit. The umbrella represents a way to organize the code “at rest” on the filesystem before releases are built.

If they’re not intended to be distributed together then the two (or more) release definitions should not include them both.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews