Advice to avoid simple transitive compile-time dependency

I am trying to understand why transitive compile-time dependency is there, and what’s a good strategy to remove it. The mix app for example below is available here.

In a nutshell, I have these 3 modules:

# a.ex
defmodule A do
  import B, only: [valid_string: 1]

def check(string) when valid_string(string), do: "OK"
end
# b.ex
defmodule B do
  defguard valid_string(string) when string in ~w(read write)

def by_the_way do
    C.something()
  end
end
# c.ex
defmodule C do
  def something do
    IO.puts("Just passing by")
  end
end

Dependencies from this module form a what’s known as transitive compile-time dependency. This can be confirmed by running mix href command:

mix xref graph --label compile-connected

Output:

lib/a.ex
└── lib/b.ex (compile)

If I remove by_the_way function from module B, mix xref no longer reports a transitive compile-time dependency. Could someone explain to me why A transitively depends on C, even though A is only interested in importing the macro from B, and doesn’t really care about the function by_the_way or its implementation?

What’s a good strategy to remove such transitive compile time dependency? Is it like separating macros and functions in different modules?

That’s a quite a few assumptions about the knowledge of the compiler. In this specific case the imported functionality is a guard, which indeed cannot depend on by_the_way due to limitations of guards. But it could also be a normal macro, which might call by_the_way at some point during execution.

Because compiler do not know (and in general sense it cannot know) that A do not depend on B.by_the_way. Phoenix generates module that is perfect example of that:

def module MyAppWeb do
  defmacro __using__(name) do
    apply(__MODULE__, name, [])
  end

# …
end

This shows that calling macro can call any function within our module.

It can:

defmodule Foo do
  defguard is_foo(a) when foo(a)

defmacro foo(a) do
    by_the_way()

quote do: true
  end

def by_the_way, do: C.something()
end
2 Likes

Good point. A macro could be part of the defguard and that macro can then call anything again.

defmodule Foo do
  defguard is_foo(a) when foo()

defmacro foo() do
    if by_the_way() do
      quote do: true
    else
      quote do: false
    end
  end

def by_the_way, do: C.something()
end
1 Like

Elixir tracks dependencies at the module level. One common approach to address this is to define constants (which you may access at compile-time, such as invoice_states) and guards that are used across multiple modules into a separate module that only defines constants/guards (and does not call anything else).

5 Likes

Well, at least there is one thing that I do that is recommended by the core team. :003:

2 Likes

Are “constants” in this context just functions that return a literal value?

2 Likes

Yes! Values that you would want to access in guards and patterns.

1 Like

lol, ever on the eternal constants quest :smiley:

2 Likes