dcrck

dcrck

Hello,

I’m having some trouble optimizing the memory usage for my application. Its job is manage and collect data from a bunch of networked devices (typical IOT application).

I create a process for each managed device (via DynamicSupervisor) that handles communication and data retrieval. I send the data (a map) to an Agent process that accumulates the data in a giant map of device address => device data. Once every few seconds, another process grabs this accumulated data (if present), encodes it with JSON.encode!/1 and publishes it on MQTT. When the data retrieval happens, the Agent resets its internal state to an empty map via get_and_update.

This works fine, but for whatever reason the agent accumulates binary memory over time. :recon.proc_count(:memory, 10) shows its memory constantly increasing, even though the data it collects should be temporary. I can call :recon.bin_leak/1 to clear the memory out, but I’d rather find out what’s causing the constant memory increases. For reference, the number of devices is less than 1000 and the data accumulated for each device can be enough to push the outgoing encoded message to ~1MB.

What might I be doing incorrectly here? I’d rather not run garbage collection manually, but I can do so if necessary. Thanks!

Showing Posts 1 to 10

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

This is a persistent problem that periodically bites people. I can’t be of much help except give you a drive-by comment out of memory: try hibernating the process periodically and see if that helps? I seem to remember people saying that this helped.

dcrck

dcrck OP

Yeah, I did see this recommendation on previous related discussions, but control messages come in every 20 seconds, so the caching Agent is constantly getting filled/flushed. I don’t know if hibernation would really help here; maybe there’s some other process that’s holding the memory and causing the issue?

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Yes, very likely. Large binaries are a consistent headache in the BEAM.

Another drive-by comment: tried using :binary.copy and never storing an original big binary? Admittedly I am going off the rails here because I don’t quite know your code and needs and it seems that this suggestion kind of goes against them.

dcrck

dcrck OP

Looking around some more: http://dieswaytoofast.blogspot.com/2012/12/erlang-binaries-and-garbage-collection.html

It turns out that refc-binaries keep track of every process that has ever touched them!

I know, its pretty obvious in retrospect, but the point here is that a refc-binary is not clobbered till every process that has ever touched it has been garbage-collected.

So that means whenever I want to ease binary memory in my app I’d need wait until all of these are garbage collected:

  • the agent
  • the controlling process
  • each managed device process
  • any other process that routes the binaries at all

…or just call :erlang.garbage_collect/0 myself periodically. I already have a timer in production that goes off periodically to check the number of open file descriptors for the application, I can probably make the change to call eval “:erlang.garbage_collect”, as most of the processes that touch the binaries are intended to be long-lived

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Alternatively, and if your architecture allows it: have the processes that work with the big binaries be throwaway and only send small messages to the long-lived processes?

I only pulled that off once though and it was fairly troublesome to do. Or again, just hibernate the process(es) once every 100 messages or so?

sodapopcan

sodapopcan

So nice to see a topic with the word “Agent” in it that is actually referring to the OG :grin:

I know it’s not actually the OG, I’m speaking contextually, jeez

Lucassifoni

Lucassifoni

But what do you do while your agent is garbage collecting ?

More seriously, :observer is useful to me in those binary leak cases.

dcrck

dcrck OP

Yeah, I’m using :observer and :recon to help figure out where the memory is growing. It’s definitely process heap memory that’s expanding due to large refc binaries I was passing around like it was free. Lesson learned, I guess.

I’ll see if I can move most of the stuff dealing with large binaries into short-lived/temporary processes that I spawn when I get a new control message. For the longer-running device processes that interact with the large binaries, I’ll try manually garbage collecting those after sending the data along to ETS tables (instead of an Agent for distributed writes), then delete/shutdown the temporary stuff once all data has been processed in a given cycle.

Will try this tomorrow and see how it goes.

Asd

Asd

First, why is that a problem? System does not guarantee that it triggers a garbage collection right after responding to a control message. This data will be eventually garbage collected and system decides when it happens. You won’t run out of memory

Second, have you tried using ets table? You can just clear the table while reading from it with select_delete

Asd

Asd

refc binary means that there is actually only one global instance of a binary kept in memory and all these processes are just referencing it. It is an optimization.

The other problem is sub-binaries. It is a parsing optimization, when we want to extract a part of binary in a new binary, runtime actually just create a reference inside this bigger binary, thus keeping the bigger binary in memory. This is solved by :binary.copy and it is true only if you extract your machine information from large strings with some specific operations, but again, using :binary.copy is an optimization which makes garbage collection a bit more efficient

can probably make the change to call eval “:erlang.garbage_collect”

Garbage collection in BEAM is local to the process. Calling :erlang.garbage_collect clears the memory only in the calling process

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews