bobbypriambodo
I’m trying to understand more about Elixir OTP concepts, particularly the ones mentioned in the title. The tutorials gave examples with KV buckets, but I think I need more realistic examples.
Can anyone give examples on how you use them in your apps/libraries? (I’m particularly interested in their usage on a Phoenix app, but if you do use it on Elixir app it’s okay too.)
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Most Liked- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
benwilson512
First, a nit pick. There are only Elixir apps. Some Elixir apps use phoenix, some do not, but there are only Elixir apps.
Let’s start with the simplest case, tasks. We have an async job worker system, and every job is run inside a task. This makes it easy for the worker process to monitor what happens to the job. It also makes for less work for the garbage collector because any memory the job uses can be all easily reclaimed when the process quits.
GenServers: These get used for a variety of things. I have a slack bot process that aggregates some info and periodically shoves it in slack. I have processes that represent sensors out in warehouses monitoring temperature, and these genservers give us notifications if they haven’t heard from a sensor in X amount of time (amongst other things).
Agent: Basically just a simplified genserver. Never used one.
GenEvent: Used it a long time ago, but there were pain points. Technically I still use it cause I have a customer Logger backend and IIRC it uses GenEvent.
Not mentioned: :gen_statem I used recently in some sensor management software. Each connected sensor gets its own state machine process that ensures it walks through the right states / transitions as it gets configured / upgraded / etc.
bobbypriambodo
True! I wonder why I wrote that, especially when I just reread this “Phoenix is not your application” thread. Sorry about that
I meant when you are mainly using Phoenix for your app.