BryanJBryce

BryanJBryce

Orders have many OrderItems have many OrderItemModifiers

OrderItem and OrderItemModifier both have attributes of quantity and price

I want Order to be able to aggregate/calculate the total for the order.

First I looked at Aggregates, specifically at sum, but since I need to do multiplication I thought maybe a Calculation would be needed. I’d like to do it as an expression so that Postgres is doing the calculation/aggregation and not Elixir code.

Update: I think I figured this out, Calculations and Aggregates are not an either or thing where if Aggregates don’t work use Calculations, you can also build up complex logic by combing simple calculations and Aggregates, I think…

I still have an error in GraphQL with one of the Aggregates, so I’m going to put my solution here and see if there’s an issue with it:

OrderItemModifier:

  calculations do
    calculate :total, :decimal, expr(price * quantity)
  end

OrderItem:

  calculations do
    calculate :subtotal, :decimal, expr(price * quantity + modifiers_total)
  end

  aggregates do
    sum :modifiers_total, :modifiers, :total
  end

Order:

  aggregates do
    sum :subtotal, :order_items, :sub_total
    sum :tax_total, :order_taxes, :percentage
  end

  calculations do
    calculate :total, :decimal, expr(subtotal * tax_total)
  end

It could just be a typo somewhere (GraphQL errors like this are typically basic Ash errors that don’t get caught), but I’m getting this error from AshGraphQL after trying to compile this new code:

== Compilation error in file lib/point_of_sale/schema.ex ==
** (UndefinedFunctionError) function nil.embedded?/0 is undefined. If you are using the dot syntax, such as module.function(), make sure the left-hand side of the dot is a module atom
nil.embedded?()
(ash_graphql 0.26.9) lib/resource/resource.ex:2473: AshGraphql.Resource.filterable?/2
(elixir 1.16.1) lib/enum.ex:4277: Enum.filter_list/2
(ash_graphql 0.26.9) lib/resource/resource.ex:2386: AshGraphql.Resource.aggregate_filter_fields/2
(ash_graphql 0.26.9) lib/resource/resource.ex:2352: AshGraphql.Resource.resource_filter_fields/2
(ash_graphql 0.26.9) lib/resource/resource.ex:1283: AshGraphql.Resource.args/5
(ash_graphql 0.26.9) lib/resource/resource.ex:473: anonymous fn/6 in AshGraphql.Resource.queries/5
(elixir 1.16.1) lib/enum.ex:1700: Enum.“-map/2-lists^map/1-1-”/2

Showing Posts 1 to 4

BryanJBryce

BryanJBryce OP

LOL, indeed it was a typo:

:sub_total in the Order aggregate :subtotal should be :subtotal

Now to test if this chain of calculations and aggregates works.

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

We should definitely make that errror better, can you open an issue?

BryanJBryce

BryanJBryce OP

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews