mat-hek

mat-hek

Membrane Core Team

Hi there,

we’re playing with the telemetry library, using telemetry-metrics to specify metrics. Our use case is that we dynamically spawn jobs that are usually running for a while and terminate once their work is done. We’d like to collect metrics from these jobs, such as bytes processed, chunks of data processed, and the number of occurrences of certain events. The information we’d like telemetry to give us is this data aggregated per job. To achieve that, we’re currently using the :job_id tag. The problem is, I don’t see a possibility to tell telemetry that a job terminated and it should forget the given tag value. Because of that, libraries like telemetry_metrics_prometheus report that value forever, which leads to a mem leak and growing overhead when we have thousands of jobs being spawned and terminated. According to the answer to this issue, Prometheus is not suitable for aggregating this kind of data, but it seems to me that it’s rather a limitation of telemetry itself. We can try using OpenTelemetry instead, but AFAIK it’s more about traces and metrics are still in alpha, while we need metrics in the first place.

I believe there must be a correct way of approaching this problem. Any suggestions appreciated :wink:

Showing Posts 1 to 1

RudManusachi

RudManusachi

I don’t have an answer, but wanted to share that in the past I faced the same issue with assigning unique tags to metrics (very high cardinality). We were using DataDog and eventually we got notified from their support that if we continue that way our bills would become enormous. And were suggested to stop using metrics for those types of tags and switch to APM traces where they provide with “infinite-cardinality” attributes.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews