AI Code Completion Plugin called Tab Nine

I came across a plugin that uses an AI that has been pointed towards Github to do code completion. It is a single plugin that works for any language and is both free for now and in beta. Since I am so new to programming I don’t have an opinion about how well it works but I do think it is an interesting idea and thought I would share it here as well as the slack channel.
There are plugins for most of the popular editors.

https://tabnine.com

TabNine has been great from my experience and I’m on the free version. It can provide autocompletion that no other tool can.

IIRC TabNine is online tool, which mean it is big no-go for me. I cannot allow for my code to be sent to untrusted 3rd party that I cannot even check in which jurisdiction it is. I work on data that is GDPR protected and I cannot find any information about their guarantees about privacy and/or how they are supervised/certified.

4 Likes

Sorry for digging 2 years old thread, but I am not 100% sure to @hauleth post, which ended this discussion. Are we sure it cannot be run entirely offline?

At the time of writing the homepage https://www.tabnine.com/ has info regarding privacy & protection:

All of Tabnine’s code completion AI can be run locally on your machine. Your team’s code and AI training data are NEVER shared, helping to ensure your code stays compliant

and also:

Tabnine will NEVER share your code or use it as part of its open-source AI

and also going deeper, seems like sending code to their servers is optional cloud feature:

Plans & Pricing | Tabnine

In case of not meeting system requirements (4 cores, 8 GB memory) cloud feature is the only way to run TabNine. I got message regarding not meeting requirements:

Your current setup doesn’t meet Tabnine’s local deep completion model requirements, so you can’t run Tabnine locally.

Don’t worry! You can still enjoy Tabnine’s deep completions using our cloud - it’s free!

And… requires Signing In/Up :wink:

So it seems like, if you meet system requirements and you don’t sign up, you are in offline mode.

Further research could be done through monitoring network traffic, I haven’t done that.

3 Likes