sachanganesh

sachanganesh

Hi everyone,

I’m trying to display a dropdown menu using LiveView and AlpineJS. For the most part, things have worked well, but I’m encountering an issue with this dropdown implementation.

When I try to open and close the dropdown using AlpineJS, the variable is updated (as seen by a console.log statement), but the dropdown does not get displayed. For some reason, the x-show value change isn’t being registered for this case.

However, when I comment out the line: liveSocket.connect() in my app.js, then it works just as expected. Somehow AlpineJS and LiveView aren’t getting along, and I’d really appreciate any help in resolving this.

I’ve provided the relevant code below:

live/navbar_component.html.heex
          <div x-data="{openSettingsDropdown: false}">
            <button
              type="button"
              id="user-menu-button"
              :aria-expanded="openSettingsDropdown"
              aria-haspopup="true"
              x-on:click="openSettingsDropdown = !openSettingsDropdown; console.log(openSettingsDropdown);"
            >
            </button>
            <div
              x-cloak
              x-show="openSettingsDropdown"
              role="menu"
              aria-orientation="vertical"
              aria-labelledby="user-menu-button"
              tabindex="-1"
            >
              <a
                href="#"
                class="block px-4 py-2 text-sm text-gray-700"
                role="menuitem"
                tabindex="-1"
                id="user-menu-item-0"
              >
                Your Profile
              </a>
        </div>
app.js
import "phoenix_html";
// Establish Phoenix Socket and LiveView configuration.
import { Socket } from "phoenix";
import { LiveSocket } from "phoenix_live_view";
import Alpine from "alpinejs";

window.Alpine = Alpine;
Alpine.start();

let csrfToken = document
  .querySelector("meta[name='csrf-token']")
  .getAttribute("content");

let liveSocket = new LiveSocket("/live", Socket, {
  dom: {
    onBeforeElUpdated(from, to) {
      if (from.__x) {
        window.Alpine.clone(from.__x, to);
      }
    },
  },
  params: { _csrf_token: csrfToken },
});

liveSocket.connect();

// expose liveSocket on window for web console debug logs and latency simulation:
// >> liveSocket.enableDebug()
// >> liveSocket.enableLatencySim(1000)  // enabled for duration of browser session
// >> liveSocket.disableLatencySim()
window.liveSocket = liveSocket;
});

Showing Posts 1 to 3

cmo

cmo

On the div with x-show, set phx-update="ignore". You need to set this when you’re messing with the DOM outside of LiveView.

Actually, you need it on the top level one because of the :ariaexpanded, which you’ll want to write as x-bind:ariaexpanded so you don’t upset the heex compiler.

Note that you can do some of this stuff with the LiveView.JS functions too.

sachanganesh

sachanganesh OP

Thank you! I’ll watch out for that in the future

sachanganesh

sachanganesh OP

FWIW, I kept trying for a solution that didn’t rely on phx-update="ignore" due to any child elements obviously not receiving updates with that approach.

Not sure if this was the root cause, but I used this dom setting in app.js:

let liveSocket = new LiveSocket("/live", Socket, {
  params: { _csrf_token: csrfToken },
  hooks: hooks,
  dom: {
    onBeforeElUpdated(from, to) {
      if (from._x_dataStack) {
        window.Alpine.clone(from, to);
      }
    },
  },
});
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews