martijn

martijn

In my first Phoenix app, I have an action which serves an XML phonebook to a certain SIP handset. The handset has two ways of calling this action:

/gigaset?reqsrc=user&ln=foo   # Search for a contact with the name 'foo'
/gigaset?reqsrc=auto&hm=12345 # Search for a contact with caller ID 12345

Since both have different queries I decided to pattern match based on the reqsrc parameter. But both action have some shared logic as well, so I put that in a separate method with the same name but different arity to apply limit and offset and render the view/template. It works, but is this the right way of doing things?

  # User quering phonebook from Gigaset base
  def gigaset(conn, params = %{"reqsrc" => "user"}) do
    name = String.replace(params["ln"], "*", "%")
    query = from e in Entry, where: ilike(e.name, ^name)

    gigaset conn, query, params
  end

  # Caller ID from Gigaset base
  def gigaset(conn, params = %{"reqsrc" => "auto"}) do
    number = params["hm"]
    query = from e in Entry, where: e.work == ^number or e.home == ^number or e.mobile == ^number

    gigaset conn, query
  end

  # Finish query, render output
  def gigaset(conn, query, params) do
    limit = String.to_integer(params["count"])
    offset = String.to_integer(params["first"]) - 1

    query = from e in query, limit: ^limit, offset: ^offset
    entries = Repo.all(query)

    render conn, entries: entries
  end

I know the difference in the query is trivial, but imagine they would be vastly different. Does it make sense to do it like this?

Showing Posts 1 to 3

martijn

martijn OP

Wait.. after testing it again it seems to not work as expected :persevere:

Requesting /gigaset?reqsrc=auto yields a ‘no matching action clause to process request’ error on the definition of the first method. Is there a way to do this, at all?

I ended up rewriting into this long method (with some more changes):

  def gigaset(conn, params = %{ "reqsrc" => reqsrc, "count" => limit, "first" => offset }) do
    query = case reqsrc do
      # User quering phonebook from Gigaset base
      "user" ->
        name = String.replace(params["ln"], "*", "%")
        from e in Entry, where: ilike(e.name, ^name)

      # Caller ID from Gigaset base
      "auto" ->
        number = params["hm"]
        from e in Entry, where: e.work == ^number or e.home == ^number or e.mobile == ^number
    end

    # Total before pagination
    total = Repo.one(from e in query, select: count(e.id))

    # Paginated entries
    offset = String.to_integer(offset) - 1
    query = from e in query, limit: ^limit, offset: ^offset
    entries = Repo.all(query)

    render conn, entries: entries, total: total, offset: offset
  end

All feedback is welcome! I realise some of this belongs in the model probably.

sashaafm

sashaafm

I don’t think there’s any problem in using pattern matching in controller methods. I’ve done this in one of my projects myself and it works great:

  def insert_attachment(conn, %{"ticket_message" => ticket_message,
                                "ticket_id"      => ticket_id}) do

    ticket = Repo.get(Ticket, ticket_id)
    upload = Map.get(ticket_message, "file")
    TicketAttachmentController.insert(conn, ticket, upload)
  end

  def insert_attachment(conn, %{"ticket_id"      => ticket_id}) do

    conn
    |> put_flash(:error, "No file was selected.")
    |> redirect(to: ticket_path(conn, :show, ticket_id))
  end
NobbZ

NobbZ

Your match does only “fire” when you have all the parameters "reqsrc", "count", and "first" available. In the requested “path” /gigaset?reqsrc=auto" there is only "reqsrc" available, so you need to add another clause after your current one, which needs to be like this:

def gigaset(conn, params = %{"reqsrc" => "auto"}), do: :stuff
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews