halostatue

halostatue

Some years ago, I switched my case statement handling to something like this:

case some_operation() do
  {:ok, _} = ok -> ok
  {:error, reason} -> # do something with reason
end

I did this because I recalled something about an unnecessary tuple allocation improvement that José made in Erlang itself. Is this over-optimization in modern Elixir 1.13+ / Erlang 24+? Does it still make sense to do that, or would writing the (potentially clearer) version be OK now?

case some_operation() do
  {:ok, value} -> {:ok, value}
  {:error, reason} -> # do something interesting with reason
end

Showing Posts 1 to 10

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

If I remember correctly both :ok idioms compile to the same bytecode and this has been true for a while now. Can’t remember since which OTP version though.

kartheek

kartheek

Either way fresh memory is not not allocated from for value. It just points to value object which was originally created in {:ok, value}.

{:ok, value} -> {:ok, value} 

both variables value will point to same value as the data has not changed. Only fresh tuple is created here is my understanding.

These small optimisations won’t result in much difference when compared to memory leaks and overflowing queues. I write code in a more readable way rather than worry about optimising. I believe in below quote

“Premature optimization is the root of all evil” - Donald Knuth

Everyday tooling is becoming intelligent and computing is becoming cheaper - so the optimisation for limited resource environments is not needed as of today is what I believe.

halostatue

halostatue OP

It’s the tuple creation that I’m concerned about. Sure, it’s cheap, but it’s not zero. Similarly, when I only care about what the shape of the {:ok, value} result is, I do this:

case something() do
  {:ok, value} -> # do something interesting with value
  error -> error
end

If the code generation for {:ok, value} -> {:ok, value} now avoids the creation of the second tuple (because it’s recognized as a duplicate), then the optimization is unnecessary. If it doesn’t, then I’d rather stick with the existing pattern, because I do have such things in tight loops where tuple creation might not be ideal

The opposite case of the error -> error shape above isn’t always possible:

case something() do
  {:ok, %{}} = ok -> ok # or {:ok, %{} = value} -> {:ok, value}
  {:ok, _} -> {:error, "Invalid return"}
  error -> error
end
kartheek

kartheek

You will find answer benchmarking your code using benchee or similar tool.

There are some pitfalls in testing individual scenarios unless some special algorithm is being benchmarked:

  • optimising code which is not frequently called - like that part of code is never hotspot
  • marginal memory improvements which don’t make much difference on production environments server which are never utilised full most of the time and anyways memory is reclaimed by garbage collection at some point.

My belief is true test for a project as whole is production deployment. If I find an issue in production I will profile and see why resource utilization is high - bottle neck in resources, code, etc.

BartOtten

BartOtten

Just to chime in: when this level of optimization is what you need, you might check out a different language or use something like rustler. After all: the mass result of this nano-optimization is thousand times gone as soon as you do something else slightly off.

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

I believe Core Erlang Optimizations - Erlang/OTP shows that it optimizes to zero in this case. It’ll just reuse the tuple whether you write it out that way or not.

sezaru

sezaru

You can also ditch the casealtogether and use with:

with {:error, reason} <- some_operation() do
  # do something with reason
end

Not sure if that will result in a more optimized code thought.

halostatue

halostatue OP

Thanks. This is exactly what I was looking for.

halostatue

halostatue OP

That will end up resulting in the same code, IIRC, since with is a macro and sugar for nested case expressions. In general, I only use with if:

  1. I have more than one item that would require nested cases.
  2. I have no or very little special handling of unsuccessful matches in with.

The moment that I need to treat non-ideal-path handling differently, the value of with drops immensely.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I feel jealous because I practically said the same thing but was utterly ignored. :grimacing::sweat_smile:

Thanks for the link!

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews