kelsey_l

kelsey_l

I’m working on a “learn something” project at work using Phoenix LiveView. My team is building a planning poker app (similar to the one featured at ElixirConf). We had the idea to not have registered users but instead to try to track users using cookies or local storage. We wanted to do this so we can know which connection is the person who created a particular prompt (“How many story points do you think __ feature should be?”). Originally we thought cookies would be the way to go but then I saw this thread: Accessing cookies in Phoenix.Socket connect - #18 by josevalim (“Still I don’t think we should allow cookies to be read.” @josevalim )

Here is my first implementation. I created a plug to put a token in the session.

defmodule PokerWeb.SessionToken do
  @impl Plug

  def init(opts) do
    opts
  end

  @impl Plug
  @spec call(Plug.Conn.t(), any) :: Plug.Conn.t()
  def call(conn, _opts) do
    case Plug.Conn.get_session(conn, :user_token) do
      nil ->
        timestamp =
          DateTime.utc_now()
          |> to_string()

        token = Phoenix.Token.sign(PokerWeb.Endpoint, "user_salt", timestamp)

        conn
        |> Plug.Conn.put_session(:user_token, token)

      _ ->
        conn
    end
  end
end

Router:

defmodule PokerWeb.Router do
  use PokerWeb, :router

  pipeline :browser do
    plug :accepts, ["html"]
    plug :fetch_session
    plug :fetch_flash
    plug Phoenix.LiveView.Flash
    plug :protect_from_forgery
    plug :put_secure_browser_headers
    plug PokerWeb.SessionToken
  end

  pipeline :api do
    plug :accepts, ["json"]
  end

  scope "/", PokerWeb do
    pipe_through :browser

    live "/rooms/new", RoomLive.New, session: [:user_token] # here is the token being made available to the live view
    live "/rooms/:id", RoomLive.Show, session: [:user_token]
    live "/lobby", LobbyLive.Index, session: [:user_token]
    get "/", PageController, :index
  end

end

LiveView:

defmodule PokerWeb.RoomLive.Show do
    use Phoenix.LiveView
    use Phoenix.HTML

    alias PokerWeb.RoomView
    alias Poker.Lobby

    def render(assigns) do
      RoomView.render("show.html", assigns)
    end

    def mount(session, socket) do
      {:ok, assign(socket, :user_token, session.user_token)} # here token added to socket assigns
    end

    def handle_params(%{"id" => id}, _uri, socket) do
      {:noreply, fetch(socket, id)}
    end

    defp fetch(socket, id) do
      assign(socket, room: Lobby.get_room(id))
    end
end

show.html.leex

<h2><%= @room.name %></h2>
<%= if @room.token == @user_token do %>
    <div class="rounded-lg p-6 bg-gray">
        <p>You are admin of this room</p>
    </div>
<% end %>
Slug: <%= @room.slug %>
<hr/>
<%= link "Back", to: Routes.live_path(@socket, PokerWeb.LobbyLive.Index) %>

When a room is created, one of the fields on the Room schema is the token.

The idea is to only persist this data for 24 hours.

Thanks in advance if you can point me in the right direction!

Showing Posts 1 to 2

sb8244

sb8244

Author of Real-Time Phoenix

LiveView has approached this a bit differently—i think maybe because it’s a more controlled experience between the server and frontend. The LV team can ensure security through signing tokens, so the raw data is never passed to the socket.

LV signs a session when it mounts the view and then this is used in the LV mount function to receive information about the user. You can configure this to include session information (such as a user ID), and it will be managed by LV if the attribute exists in the plug session.

I think this will get you what you need without custom code (or at least without much). It also may depend on how you’re mounting the view. The docs at Phoenix.LiveView.Router — Phoenix LiveView v1.2.5 show how to do this with the router based mounting.

Edit: actually you’re doing this already. I think the key takeaway is that you don’t need to sign it yourself. LV will handle that for you. Since you’re using the token as an ID, you probably don’t need to change anything. You could generate a unique string a different way, but yours looks good to me.

kelsey_l

kelsey_l OP

Thank you for your feedback and thoughtful reply!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews