woohaaha
Has anyone used both Bamboo and ExAws and can comment on the differences?
I would imagine that if I want to integrate with AWS SES than the obvious choice is ExAws even if both libraries (ExAws, Bamboo) are only using SMTP. My concern was that I believe ExAws was briefly deprecated while searching for a new maintainer while Thoughtbot has a great track record for maintaining libraries.
So:
-
If you have used both or either libraries to send emails from SES I’d like to know your experience and preferences?
-
Am I missing something in my rationale?
Thank you
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
nikody
I have used AWS SES directly with ExAws and the reasons for this choice were mainly that we wanted to avoid additional dependencies - in this case Bamboo, but also its SES adapter. With Bamboo, you have to use different adapters, which are a separate dependency and vary depending on the email delivery service you use.
If you take a look at the code for the SES adapter for Bamboo, you’ll notice it also uses ExAws underneath. Also, there is a notice in the readme for ExAws that it is once more actively maintained, and I haven’t noticed or heard of any problems with it, so I believe it should be fine.
Now, Bamboo’s plus is that it hides a tiny bit of the complexity when composing the emails and if you use just ExAws you should be careful to compose them correctly. Mostly, be careful about the newlines as in some cases two of them are required. For reference, this is similar to what I last used:
Then you just pipe it to:
However, another plus in Bamboo’s favour is that it allows for easier testing. The
Bamboo.Interceptorbehaviour also seems pretty nice. And theBamboo.SentEmailViewerPlugplug makes it easy to view emails in development.Ultimately, I believe it depends on if you want these additional features that Bamboo offers or if you prefer to have fewer dependencies.
tomciopp
We use Bamboo and ExAWS in our project, but don’t use ExAWS to integrate with SES. We use the
bamboo_smtpadapter for that. This choice was made beforeex_aws_sesand an ses adapter for bamboo existed. Testing and configuration for this setup is fairly easy (we set some ENV variables at runtime) and we haven’t noticed any problems with delivery or long term maintenance.That being said, I would probably use the
bamboo_sesadapter if I were coming into a greenfield project. Since it just wrapsex_aws_sesit likely solves all the problems you would have to go through yourself.