abreujp

abreujp

Hello Elixir community,

I’d like to share an Anki flashcard deck I’ve created containing 1,610 cards covering functions from Elixir version 1.19.0-dev.

About the Project

The deck was created as part of a weekend project where I developed a formatter for the ex_doc library that generates Elixir function definitions in CSV format, which can be directly imported into the Anki app.

What is Anki?

For those unfamiliar, Anki is a flashcard application that uses spaced repetition to help with memorization and learning - perfect for remembering programming language functions!

Download

You can download the deck here: Elixir 1.19.0-dev Functions Anki Deck

Feedback and suggestions are welcome!

Showing Posts 1 to 2

raulrpearson

raulrpearson

Great minds think alike! I also did this recently and have been memorizing functions and macros from the Kernel module. I wasn’t sure how it’d work out, concerned that the auto-generated cards would be not easy to memorize or boring to learn, but it’s been mostly fine and worth it, I think.

I’m only doing the first sentence of each function or macro, not the whole doc string, though. I think that helps with parsing and going through the spaced reps.

I also structure my notes with a few fields. I extracted data using a Livebook and this hastily coded snippet:

defmodule Ankify do
  def extract_deck(module) do
    Code.fetch_docs(module)
    |> elem(6)
    |> Enum.reject(fn {_, _, _, doc, _} -> doc == :hidden end)
    |> Enum.map(&parse_doc(&1, module))
    # |> Enum.map(fn note -> Map.values(note) |> Enum.join("\t") end)
    # |> then(fn notes -> Enum.join(notes, "\n") end)
  end

  def parse_doc({{kind, name, arity}, _, [signature], %{"en" => item_doc}, _}, parent) do
    [description | _] = String.split(item_doc, "\n\n")
    description = String.replace(description, ~r"\n+", " ")
    parent = Atom.to_string(parent)

    %{
      id: "#{parent}.#{name}/#{arity}",
      parent: parent,
      type: Atom.to_string(kind) |> String.capitalize(),
      signature: signature,
      description: description
    }
  end
end

This then has two cards, one to recall the description from the signature and one to recall the signature from the description.


I was planning to polish this up and share as a script but never got around to it.

abreujp

abreujp OP

Nice way you did it. I hope to make improvements to my code which is still very simple, and when it’s more professional I intend to think of a way to share it on GitHub. I believe that for ex_doc it doesn’t need to have this format. I want to do it in a way that makes it simple to generate decks for any Elixir library. Thank you for your response.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews