wojtekmach

wojtekmach

Hex Core Team

Today we are releasing the first version of hex_core, an Erlang library to interact with Hex.pm and other servers implementing Hex specifications.

Before talking about hex_core, let’s ask a simple question: What is Hex? The short answer is, it’s a package manager for the Erlang ecosystem. The long answer is that by Hex we may mean a few different things:

  1. A set of specifications of building clients and servers that can interact with each other: https://github.com/hexpm/specifications
  2. A server for hosting packages like the official server located at https://hex.pm
  3. Clients for interacting with servers, e.g. Hex for Elixir and rebar3_hex for Erlang projects

The goal of hex_core is to be the reference implementation of Hex specifications used by Hex clients and servers.

As of this announcement the hex_core package itself is available on Hex.pm.

Usage in an Erlang project

  1. Create a new project: rebar3 new lib example

  2. Add hex_core to rebar.config:

    {deps, [
      {hex_core, "0.1.0"}
    ]}
    
  3. Start the shell to and count all packages published to Hex.pm:

    $ rebar3 shell
    erl> inets:start(), ssl:start(),
    erl> Config = hex_core:default_config(),
    erl> {ok, {200, _, #{packages := Packages}}} = hex_repo:get_names(Config),
    erl> length(Packages).
    6764
    

Usage in an Elixir project

  1. Create a new project: mix new example

  2. Add hex_core to mix.exs:

    defp deps() do
      [{:hex_core, "~> 0.1"}]
    end
    
  3. Start the shell to and search for all packages matching query “riak”:

    $ iex -S mix
    iex> :inets.start() ; :ssl.start()
    iex> config = :hex_core.default_config()
    iex> options = [sort: :downloads]
    iex> {:ok, {200, _, packages}} = :hex_api_package.search(config, "riak", options)
    iex> Enum.map(packages, & &1["name"])
    ["riak_pb", "riakc", ...]
    

See README at https://github.com/hexpm/hex_core for more usage examples.

Future work

After the initial release we plan to work with the community to integrate hex_core into their projects and respond to feedback.

We will also be focused on releasing a minimal Hex server, built on top of hex_core, to be a starting point for people wanting to run Hex on their own infrastructure. Stay tuned!

Link to original announcement: Announcing hex core | Hex

Showing Posts 1 to 2

aseigo

aseigo

w00t! Already using it in hexagon. Not a big fan of the API exposing the http details so directly (response codes and raw headers) as I feel it exposes implementation details too directly, but other than that small niggle it’s been a pleasure to use. Kudos to the hex devs! :slight_smile:

wojtekmach

wojtekmach OP

Hex Core Team

Hexagon is exactly the kind of project we wanted people to build with hex_core, thanks again for that! I’ve created an issue to discuss the API: High-level API · Issue #32 · hexpm/hex_core · GitHub.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

restlessronin
The repo is at GitHub - cyberchitta/openai_ex: Community maintained Elixir library for OpenAI API · GitHub. Docs are at OpenaiEx User Gu...
152 12366 136
New
type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
type1fool
I just stumbled on a newly redesigned elixir-lang.org. :tada: It looks like @Software_Mansion did the work, and I think it is generally a...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews