oliveiragahenrique
I’m current learning Elixir by the book Elixir in Action 2nd Edition. On chapter 3 at Stream functions exercises i’ve solved them a bit different from the original repository.
Problem: Get the longest line length of a file
Book resoluiton:
def longest_line_length!(path) do
path
|> Stream.map(&String.replace(&1, "\n", ""))
|> Stream.map(&String.length/1)
|> Enum.max()
end
My resolution:
def longest_line_length!(path) do
File.stream!(path)
|> Stream.map(&String.replace(&1, "\n", ""))
|> Stream.map(&String.length(&1))
|> Enum.max()
end
Is there some fundamental difference between Stream.map(&String.length/1) and Stream.map(&String.length(&1)) ?
Or it is just a style preference?
Personally I think it’s more clear to use &1 even if it’s not necessary. Maybe it is just because I’m still getting used with the language. Any thoughts?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 6- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
srowley
I had the same reaction and preference when I first started learning Elixir. There may be some real difference between them that I am not aware of; I just think of it as a style difference.
Over time as I got accustomed to referring to a function as
Module.function/arity, the former syntax (i.e.&String.length/1) became more natural and the latter started to feel redundant/unnecessary.i-n-g-m-a-r
2 calls vs 1
oliveiragahenrique
Hmmm… can you explain a bit more? I’m learning yet.
I did not get how the
&String.length(&1)is called twice, why is this so?NobbZ
It’s not that that function is called twice, but it causes two function calls.
Using
&f(&1)needs to first call the anonymous function which calls then the inner function call. Using&f/1creates a more direct “reference” to the target function and therefore removes one level of indirection.Marcus
But something like this will be optimised by the compiler.
For example:
becomes
But
&String.upcase/1should be the preferred form.shanesveller
Besides the points above, if you’re not reordering or transforming arguments before calling the existing function, the
Mod.fun/aritystyle is more succinct to read and write, especially for functions with arity > 1.fun(&1, &2, &3)is repetitive in a way that isn’t productive.