Any good graph library?

Are there any elixir graph Library? Can’t seem to find any so I was thinking of maybe implementating a small library using plotly.js and electron. I wanted to use wxWidget but people don’t seem to favor it.

Can anyone tell me if there are any existing library? If not, what do you think of I’m suggestion about implementing it with poorly.js and electron?

Thanks all!

Except for erlangs :wx application there is currently nothing usable for a desktop application AFAIK.

But if you want to go for the web, you can pick whichever JavaScript framework you want and use tiny or any other JSON library to get the data to submit.

Well I’m using electronic as gui right now and of course like plotly.js for the graph. Everything works fine when I execute the electron app through my elixir app. I also send the graph data to be used during the execution. However, I would like to be able to send more values to the electron app after it has started. But I am not sure how. I’m thinking that I would need to communicate via socket. Does that mean that I should do it in Phoenix? I don’t want it to be a web app but I’m not to sure on how to communicate with the electron’s JavaScript. One thing I’m pretty certain about is that I will need a some kind of server right?

I trying to kind of build a small plotting graph library like the one python has. (Very small one. Fow now lines and scattered coordinates)

Can you guide me a bit?

Phoenix socket javascript has been extracted from Phoenix here and thus can be used outside of framework… in an Electron application for example, or Swift, or React Native.

If you want to go the API way, axios will allow You to query your API phoenix backend.

I have been using Electron apps w/ Phoenix without problem, connecting Electron apps to a Phoenix auth API to get a token first, and then using secured socket to transmit data.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for the npm package. I think that I got everything setup but every time that my electron app tries to connect to my phx channel I get this error.

[error] Ranch protocol #PID<0.304.0> (:cowboy_protocol) of listener PhxPlotEx.Web.Endpoint.HTTP terminated
** (exit) exited in: Phoenix.Endpoint.CowboyWebSocket.resume()
    ** (EXIT) an exception was raised:
        ** (UndefinedFunctionError) function PhxPlotEx.PlotlyChannel.__socket__/1 is undefined (module PhxPlotEx.PlotlyChannel is not available)
            PhxPlotEx.PlotlyChannel.__socket__(:private)
            (phoenix) lib/phoenix/socket/transport.ex:237: Phoenix.Socket.Transport.build_channel_socket/4
            (phoenix) lib/phoenix/socket/transport.ex:242: Phoenix.Socket.Transport.do_dispatch/3
            (phoenix) lib/phoenix/transports/websocket.ex:123: Phoenix.Transports.WebSocket.ws_handle/3
            (phoenix) lib/phoenix/endpoint/cowboy_websocket.ex:77: Phoenix.Endpoint.CowboyWebSocket.websocket_handle/3
            (cowboy) /home/woodson/Dev/Elixir/phx_plot_ex/deps/cowboy/src/cowboy_websocket.erl:588: :cowboy_websocket.handler_call/7
            (phoenix) lib/phoenix/endpoint/cowboy_websocket.ex:49: Phoenix.Endpoint.CowboyWebSocket.resume/3
            (cowboy) /home/woodson/Dev/Elixir/phx_plot_ex/deps/cowboy/src/cowboy_protocol.erl:442: :cowboy_protocol.execute/4

This what my setup looks like

const Socket = require('phoenix-socket').Socket

let socket = new Socket("ws://localhost:4000/socket")
socket.connect()

let channel = socket.channel("plotly:lobby", {})
channel.join()
  .receive("ok", resp => { console.log("Joined successfully", resp) })
  .receive("error", resp => { console.log("Unable to join", resp) })

Got any idea on how I can solve this? I really don’t understand how the sockets work in the background so I do not know where or why it’s looking for function PhxPlotEx.PlotlyChannel.__socket__.

Edit: Dammit I figured it out. I forgot that I was using phx 1.3 so I was defining the channel as channel "plotly:*", PhxPlotEx.PlotlyChannel instead of channel "plotly:*", PhxPlotEx.Web.PlotlyChannel

Thanks again for the tip!!

1 Like