mkellyxp

mkellyxp

I’ve been using and loving Helix for the past month, and it’s been working great for PHP, and it mostly works great for Elixir. However, I for the life of me, can’t get TailwindCSS completion in .heex templates, and i’m not sure why.

I know the tailwind-ls works, as it works in plain HTML and PHP files fine. And I know my languages.toml file is handling heex files, because it seems to be handling elixir-ls and html just fine. But not tailwind. What am I missing here?

Here is my hx --health heex

Configured language servers:
  ✓ elixir-ls: /run/current-system/sw/bin/elixir-ls
  ✓ tailwindcss-language-server: /run/current-system/sw/bin/tailwindcss-language-server
  ✓ vscode-html-language-server: /run/current-system/sw/bin/vscode-html-language-server
Configured debug adapter: None
Highlight queries: ✓
Textobject queries: ✓
Indent queries: ✘

And here is my languages.toml file

[[language]]
name = "php"
language-servers = [ "intelephense", "tailwindcss-ls", "vscode-html-language-server" ]
auto-format = true

[[language]]
name = "html"
language-servers = [ "tailwindcss-ls", "vscode-html-language-server" ]

[[language]]
name = "elixir"
auto-format = true

[[language]]
name = "heex"
language-servers = [ "elixir-ls",  "tailwindcss-ls", "vscode-html-language-server" ]
auto-format = true




Showing Posts 1 to 3

tcoopman

tcoopman

The order of the LSPs is probably the issue. Have a look here Helix editor for Elixir Development - #49 by tcoopman

mkellyxp

mkellyxp OP

Ahhhh so actually the order didn’t matter.. but that link showed me that i needed the laungage Id set to “phoenix-heex”. Now it works as expected. Thanks!


.

philipgiuliani

philipgiuliani

Setting the language-id to phoenix-heex caused issues with the LSP for me. If i had some binary pattern matches (<<>>) the language server recognized it as syntax error. Guess some confusion with HEEX files.

The solution for me was to reconfigure the LSP and include Elixir as a supported language. My config looks like this:

[language-server]
tailwindcss-ls-ex = { command = "tailwindcss-language-server", args = ["--stdio"], config = { tailwindCSS = { includeLanguages = { "elixir" = "html"}} } }

[[language]]
name = "elixir"
auto-format = true
language-servers = ["elixir-ls", "tailwindcss-ls-ex"]

[[language]]
name = "heex"
auto-format = true
language-id = "phoenix-heex"
language-servers = ["elixir-ls", "tailwindcss-ls-ex"]

Note: Installing the LSP via Brew didn’t work for me, so I installed it now globally via npm.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews