subbu
LangChain (a Python library to augment LLMs) has become quite popular among people building some cool AI tools. Agents and Memory are probably it’s most useful tools. Anybody building something similar in Elixir land?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone.
My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies
I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #ai
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 9- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
FaizanN
It would be cool to have such an initiative but it seems like a lot of work to have feature parity.
Do you have any ideas how it could be achieved faster and efficiently?
tensiondriven
I think it would be fine to take the python library as a dependency and provide basic interop by copying the API. I know Google used some kind of code generation to create their Elixir deps for the massive Google API - not sure how they went about it, but in theory one could use codegen to do this.
Or put ChatGPT on the job; use AutoGPT to generate an Elixir library. (Though in my experience ChatGPT isn’t the best with Elixir.)
noshaymarauda
It’s awful for elixir in my experience as well. So what do we do here? Elixir purging interop not the best but elixir is too good to not have open access to langchain. What are you guys gonna do instead? Just use python?
abhinavs
I recently completed the langchain course on deepLearning.ai - while to me, the API seemed unnecessarily tedious and complex, but use-cases it solves are essential. In fact, I have been asked for a few similar things in a product I’m building on top of openai.
What is the community’s take on a library like langchain and what’s Elixir’s way of implementing the API?
(I did see langchainex project on github - it seems promising, however, I felt it to be very Pythonish)
rafidude
I had spent a few weeks/months learning Elixir in 2022. After the release of ChatGPT, I started developing Large Language Model (LLM) based AI applications. Given that my knowledge of Elixir was limited, I chose to use a Python based library called LangChain.
LangChain is a reasonably well-designed wrapper or abstraction around existing Python libraries that makes developing LLM based applications easier. The difficult/tricky part of creating LangChain is the various prompts baked into its various functions.
I believe creating/releasing a port of LangChain in Elixir could greatly help the ecosystem.
Any thoughts?
subbu
OpenAI released function calls a couple days ago, it solves most of the probelms LangChain was solving, but more elegantly. You can call external functions/API from within your app using this. This allows you to call OpenAI recursively as well. Here are some examples:
https://twitter.com/maccaw/status/1669367224694607875
Jose Valim tweeted about live streaming this. I really hope he covers this:
https://twitter.com/josevalim/status/1668726716947222528?s=20
foucist
LangChain also works with Llama.cpp and other OpenAI alternatives or self-hosted LLMs. so I think it makes sense to have something similar for elixir. If we can make it easy to work with other LLMs and be more performant than LangChain, that would be very attractive indeed!
ErionS
I came across an interesting library called Train that implements some of the core concepts from LangChain in Elixir.
neilberkman
also see: Langchain - An Elixir LangChain-like library for integrating with LLMs like ChatGPT