thiagomajesk

thiagomajesk

Hello everyone! I’ve been working on a hobby project recently and was trying to find content on how to make Elixir code more performant… I’ve been working on this RSS feed parser: GitHub - thiagomajesk/gluttony: Compliant elixir RSS 2.0 and Atom 1.0 parser · GitHub that is based on Saxy and was wondering how much faster I could make this code without recurring to external aid (without using NIFs). From the initial benchmarks that I did, the code is already very fast compared to other alternatives (mostly because of the difference in performance from the underlying parser). So, I basically want to see how much overhead I can take off of my custom processing logic to make it as fast as it can naturally be¹…

Do you guys have any tips, tricks, tools, or materials that would be interesting to share?

¹This is more of a learning experience that an actual necessity. I’m fairly happy with the current performance of the program but I think it would be interesting to have a little bit more knowledge on the subject if I happen to need some time in the future.

PS.: Any considerations on how the code is shaping up to be are welcome as well (I don’t know a lot of experienced people that work with Elixir to review this so…)

Showing Posts 1 to 5

gregvaughn

gregvaughn

I have not personally dug into this library, but the Jason library was written with the intention of higher performance than other json parsing libraries at the time. I’m sure there’s great techniques to mine from that codebase, and it’s also a parser, so it’s conceptually similar to your RSS parser.

thiagomajesk

thiagomajesk OP

Cool @gregvaughn! Even though I’m not trying to change the parser’s code, do you remember any particular scenario that caught your attention for me to look into?

darnahsan

darnahsan

this is not available on hex, would you publishing it ?

thiagomajesk

thiagomajesk OP

I intend to when it’s ready (you can get it from the repo if you want to try it out btw).

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

The most common optimisation I’ve seen applied applications like parsing is to focus on sub binary optimisation. There erlang documentation has quite a good write up on this too.

The basic idea being to avoid copying binaries and to reuse references. Might not be applicable in your case since its likely Saxy is doing the raw parsing?

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews