xlive

xlive

Hey there!

We are using Ecto to parse some API response (it works pretty well!).
We want this response to be converted to a struct, so we first do all the needed validations and at the end we do an apply_action(changeset, :parse).
To do so, we would like to have a module that defines an embedded_schema like the following (we won’t save this):

defmodule MyApp.Response do
  use Ecto.Schema

  @primary_key false
  embedded_schema do
    field(:custom_field, :any)
    ...
  end
end

The “problem” comes with this :any type. When compiling, Ecto complains that only virtual fields can be defined with the :any type.
Here the error:

== Compilation error in file lib/my_app/api/response.ex ==
** (ArgumentError) only virtual fields can have type :any, invalid type for field :custom_field
    (ecto 3.11.1) lib/ecto/schema.ex:2012: Ecto.Schema.__field__/4
    lib/my_app/api/response.ex:36: (module)
    (ecto 3.11.1) lib/ecto/schema.ex:2241: Ecto.Schema.__embeds_module__/4
    lib/my_app/api/response.ex:32: (module)

Is there an explanation of why they must be virtual?

In our use case, this field can have different types (boolean, integer, string, etc.), so we need this flexibility here.

We think that, as embedded_schemas are just saved as blobs or, like in our case, not saved at all, this doesn’t make a lot of sense. But maybe someone has a better understanding about this.

Thanks in advance! :purple_heart:

Showing Posts 1 to 7

sodapopcan

sodapopcan

I’m assuming this is for similar reasons as to why you can’t use nil for embeds_many—which came up again recently—that embeds are meant to be treated the same as regular relations. I think your only option if you want to keep using Ecto is to create your own type. Otherwise you could check out Drops which is a more general schema library.

cevado

cevado

You can use a schemaless changeset

{%MyStruct{}, %{custom_field: :any}}
|> Ecto.Changeset.cast(%{"custom_field" => "1"}, [:custom_field])
|> Ecto.Changeset.apply_changes()
cevado

cevado

But now actually answering that part, and expanding on what @sodapopcan . Understand that althought schemas and changesets are just mapping abstractions. both schema and embedded schemas are expected to be at some point dumped to a database.
Since that is not your intention, i’d recommend to use schemaless changeset(you can use that with structs or plain simple maps).
in case you need features like nesting, relations and some more complex stuff that doesn’t work with schemaless changeset i’d do something like:

@default [virtual: :true]
schema "" do
  field :custom_field1, :any, @default
  field :custom_field2, :any, @default
  ...
end
xlive

xlive OP

Thank you all for answering here!!
@cevado yes.. Actually this variable will be inside an assoc of the main struct
I will try then to find a better way to check these types :folded_hands:
Maybe Drop is a nice candidate! Thx @sodapopcan !!

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

What happens if you pass virtual: true to the field call like the error message suggests?

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

With :any ecto cannot be sure it can encode the data for storage in whatever db driver is in use. Therefore it is only allowed for virtual fields, which are not persisted anyways and therefore do not run into that problem.

Adzz

Adzz

Ecto can work for some inputs I found I quickly outgrew it and wrote GitHub - Adzz/data_schema: Declarative schemas for data transformations. · GitHub too. If you need to map data that isn’t essentially a map or a list then ecto schemas aren’t the solution imo.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews