mekusigjinn

mekusigjinn

https://github.com/akoutmos/litestream

The creator is being supported by Fly.io (hired) to work full time on Litestream.
I have a new project I’m ramping up and it’s going to be an e-commerce project.

I’m wondering how Ecto Sqlite3 layer can work with Litestream, in an e-commerce platform.
Because if that works, then I can:

  • use S3 as a very cheap backup solution
  • auditing
  • provide fast user experience because no need for network hop (like when using Postgres)
  • it seems like this is somewhat of a next generation data store architecture

Thanks in advance!

Showing Posts 1 to 3

derpycoder

derpycoder

Litestream is a backup solution, you have to deploy S3 separately or pay for it.

“Litestream has limitations. I built it for single-node applications, so it won’t work well on ephemeral, serverless platforms or when using rolling deployments. It needs to restore all changes sequentially which can make database restores take minutes to complete.” - Ben Johnson


Why not use a distributed Rqlite?!?

When you absolutely must not lose any of your data.

rqlite is an easy-to-use, lightweight, distributed relational database, which uses SQLite as its storage engine. rqlite is simple to deploy, operating it is very straightforward, and its clustering capabilities provide you with fault-tolerance and high-availability.

It also has an in memory database mode with max 2 gb per node capacity! Which won’t loose data on restarts, since the Raft log is the authoritative store for all data, and it is stored on disk by each node, an in-memory database can be fully recreated on start-up from the information stored in the Raft log.

https://github.com/rqlite/rqlite


Also don’t be afraid to use the right tool for the right job.

Like Meilisearch for faster text search.
Or running MinIO if you want object storage.
Or CockroachDB if you want distributed Postgres like DB.

I’m using all 3 and still going to add Rqlite for storing data close to application, in memory. For config management that doesn’t belong on main db.


By no means thats a complete list of databases you will need.

You will end up needing ClickHouse for OLAP or Time series data storage, prometheus for monitoring, loki for logging, a key value store for something & who knows what, eventually.


P.S. Please be wary of the GitHub issues section.

I have been burned by jumping the gun and boarding the hype train, only to reach the end of the road.
Big teams can afford to migrate away from a tech debt, but you will be left hanging.

There’s a reason people prefer Postgres, and now I know why!!

engineeringdept

engineeringdept

I use it on a personal project that needs a sizeable database that’s predominantly read only, for which I want to minimise the number of moving (and costly) parts. It works well! But I’d stick with hosted Postgres for most things.

daveboo

daveboo

… I like that!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews